The unique barrier island community of Bald Head Island at the southeasternmost point of the NC coast is seeking a progressive, innovative, community-minded leader to serve as its next Public Safety Director. This Public Safety Director oversees and manages the island's public safety department, including fire, rescue, police, and EMS (paramedic level). The department’s public safety efforts include fire prevention and suppression, emergency medical response, treatment and transport at the advanced lifesaving level, law enforcement, and a wide variety of rescue services, including swift water, high angle, and confined space rescue for the village. Utilizing their prior experience and expertise, the next Public Safety Director will advance the department’s emergency response efforts by implementing short- and long-term strategies to improve equipment, planning, preparedness, and command protocols and procedures.
The Village of Bald Head Island desires a candidate who:
• has experience overseeing public safety operations and serving as incident commander in a similar jurisdiction with retirement, tourist/resort-style communities;
• maintains a diverse skillset in the areas of firefighting, law enforcement, emergency management, and medical service;
• will be equally invested in the position and the community and demonstrate passion and expertise in creating and maintaining a community policing philosophy;
• is a highly-effective problem solver and swift to make strategic decisions in emergencies;
• can balance effectively overseeing operations, motivating, and encouraging a team, while also ensuring accountability and quality service delivery; and,
• is a selfless, humble professional eager to immerse themselves in a coastal community to build and maintain trusting, credible relationships with community members and visitors.
About the Organization, Department, and Position:
The Village of Bald Head Island is a chartered municipality operating under a Council/Manager government. Bald Head Island’s FY 24 budget of $15.2 million supports a team of 75 full-time employees across 12 departments. The Bald Head Island’s Department of Public Safety ensures the safety and well-being of the Island’s residents, employees, and visitors, as well as the security and safety of the properties on the island. Reporting to the Village Manager, the Public Safety Director develops and manages the department’s $3.5 million budget and oversees 26 FT Public Safety Staff, 1 Administrative Assistant, and 5 Reserve/PT Officers.
In addition to overseeing all functions of Bald Head Island’s public safety department, the Public Safety Director is also responsible for research, policy, procedure development and management, and coordination of departmental fire, law enforcement, and emergency medical programs with various other emergency service jurisdictions. The Public Safety Director must respond to all significant alarms and fire calls and may take command of fire ground operations. Serving as designated village safety officer, the Public Safety Director conducts accident investigations and manages the village's substance abuse policy administration. Additionally, the Public Safety Director serves as emergency management coordinator for the village and coordinates emergency preparedness, FEMA applications for reimbursement for storm damage, media relations with the Village’s Public Information Officer, and related activities.
• Graduation from an accredited college or university with a degree in criminal justice, fire science, public administration, emergency services, or related field with 5 – 7 years of progressively responsible law enforcement experience, including administrative and command work at the rank of Captain or higher, is required. *
*An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
• Certification as a Law Enforcement Officer by the North Carolina Justice Training and Standards Council. Prefer possession of Advanced Law Enforcement certification.
• Possession of North Carolina Firefighter and Rescue Technician certification. Possession of North Carolina EMT or higher-level credential.
• Successful completion of NIMS 100, 200, 300, 400, 700, and 800.
• Possession of a valid North Carolina driver license or the ability to obtain a valid NC driver license within 60 days of relocating to NC.
• Work after hours, on weekends, and on holidays may be required in emergency incidents.
*View the full job ad via the link below for information regarding transfers.
Salary and Benefits: The salary range for this position is $96,430 (min) - $137,758 (max). Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Village of Bald Head Island, NC, offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, disability, 401k, Local Government Retirement, life insurance, and tuition reimbursement.
• All applications must be submitted online via the Developmental Associates application portal (link above) – NOT the Village of Bald Head Island, NC employment application portal, nor any other external website.
• Resumes and cover letters must be uploaded with the application.
• Applicants should apply by September 25th, 2023.
• The hiring team will invite successful semi-finalists to participate in virtual interviews and skill evaluations on October 24th – 25th, 2023. Candidates are encouraged to reserve these dates for virtual meetings should they be invited to participate.
• Direct inquiries to: [email protected].
The Village of Bald Head Island is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Developmental Associates, LLC manages the recruitment and selection process for this position.