The Town of Wendell, a historic and up-and-coming suburb of desirable Wake County, NC, seeks a personable and goal-oriented law enforcement professional to serve as its next Police Captain (Captain). The ideal candidate is passionate about community policing in small communities and has a track record of sustaining collaborative relationships with community partners and neighboring agencies. This Captain will join a thriving police department that is accredited by CALEA and is highly regarded by its community.
The next Wendell Police Department Captain performs administrative, managerial, and specialized law enforcement work in supervising the patrol division within the department and serves as responsible in charge in the absence of the Police Chief. United around the values of Commitment, Collaboration, Integrity, and Professionalism, the Wendell Police Department seeks a humble leader who is approachable, enthusiastic about developing staff to excel, has a sense of humor, and embraces a work/life balance culture.
The next Captain is a confident decision-maker who effectively communicates information to various stakeholders, including community members. Utilizing their broad experience in all police divisions, the Captain will support the Chief and department in strategically enhancing its department to ensure that it continues to meet the growing community's needs.
About the Organization and Department:
The Town of Wendell operates under a Council/Manager form of government with a six-member Board of Commissioners. Wendell's citizen-friendly reputation, coupled with its vision of a clean, safe, vibrant, and full-service town with a diverse population, is assured by the quality of the town's facilities and professional staff who work efficiently to provide excellent customer service. The town’s FY 23-24 budget of $33.7M supports 78 employees across 6 departments.
The Wendell Police Department is committed to delivering exceptional law enforcement services by linking innovation and community engagement to ensure a high quality of life for the Wendell community. Executing the mission of the police department is a talented and passionate team of 26 sworn staff and three unsworn staff.
The department is well respected by the community and provides many services and programs to support its community policing philosophy and nurture relationships between community members and department staff. These valuable services include residential and business security checks and informational classes on crime-related topics for any civic, school, or business organization. Each year, the department hosts a free camp for kids aged 9-12 and a Public Safety Day, a free community event for the whole family with public safety agencies demonstrating a wide array of equipment and vehicles, kid activities and rides, raffles, food, and drinks.
The Wendell Police Captain reports to the Chief of Police. The next Captain will oversee approximately 23 sworn staff including four direct reports - two Lieutenants, a Community Services Officer, and an Investigations Sergeant. The Captain will support the Chief in managing the department’s FY 24 budget of $3.3M. The Captain is skilled in developing and implementing policies, procedures, rules, and regulations, is confident in advocating for changes, and is equipped to manage the administrative tasks of grant development, financial reports, accreditation reports, and other documents.
Qualifications: This position requires a bachelor's degree in criminal justice, public administration, or another relevant field and fifteen years of progressive law enforcement experience across functional areas such as patrol, internal affairs, administration, investigations, etc., to include five years of combined supervision experience at the first line and command level and budget development/management experience. A master’s degree and executive law enforcement training are preferred. An equivalent combination of education and training will be considered. For information regarding transfers, view the full job posting via the link below.
• Possession of a valid North Carolina driver's license or the ability to obtain a valid NC driver’s license within 60 days of relocating to NC.
• Certification as a law enforcement officer as established by the North Carolina Justice Training and Standards Council.
• Possession of an Intermediate or Advanced Law Enforcement Certification is preferred.
• Must meet and maintain all minimum state and local training and education requirements for the position.
• The Captain must demonstrate continued physical fitness to withstand the rigors of a law enforcement officer and potential physical confrontation with assailants and chases.
• The Captain will serve as one of the department’s In-Service Coordinators; therefore, General Instructor Certification must be obtained.
Salary and Benefits:
The full pay range for the Police Captain position is $73,639 - $110,458 (Max). The starting salary is based on the individual’s demonstrated knowledge, skills, abilities, experience, and education. The Town of Wendell provides an excellent benefits package, including retirement, town-paid insurance including dental and vision, vacation and sick time, holiday leave (12 days per year), participation in the local government retirement system, and contribution to employee 401-K plans.
To apply, please visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/developmentalassociates and click on the title of Police Captain – Town of Wendell, NC.
Please note the following:
• All applications must be submitted online via the Developmental Associates application portal (link above) – NOT the town’s employment application portal or any other external website.
• Resumes and cover letters must be uploaded with the application.
• Applicants should apply by February 19, 2024.
• The hiring team will invite successful semi-finalists to participate in virtual interviews and skill evaluations on March 19 - 20, 2024. Candidates are encouraged to reserve these dates for virtual meetings should they be invited to participate.
• Direct inquiries to [email protected].
The Town of Wendell is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Developmental Associates, LLC manages the recruitment and selection process for this position. To learn more about our selection process, visit https://developmentalassociates.com/client-openings/, select "Client Openings," and scroll down to "Important Information for Applicants."