Chief of Police - Hapeville Police Department
Job Type: Full-Time, Exempt
Salary: $95,000 to $115,000 commensurate with experience and qualifications
Dubbed as having one of Atlanta’s 10 most vibrant downtowns, Hapeville is a growing city the has all the amenities of a “big town” but maintains the charm of a “small town.” With rapid growth in population the City of Hapeville is seeking a new Chief of Police who will provide a sense of continuity to our community as it grows and changes. The current population of over 6,400 residents continues to expand and should approach 9,000 by the end of 2030. The ideal candidate will be innovative in ideas and humble in spirit, ready to provide continued stewardship to our citizens and businesses alike.
The Chief of Police will be responsible for planning, managing, leading, and directing the overall operation of the Police Department, Communications, Code Enforcement. Administrative duties include budget development and administration, policy development and personnel administration.
To be successful, this individual must build the trust and confidence of all segments of the community by ensuring the safety and security of the community, and maintaining effective relationships with the public, local government officials, and other law enforcement agencies. The Chief represents the department by working with legal authorities, governmental agencies, and the media. This position reports to the City Manager.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Strategically plans, coordinates, and supervises the Departmental Operations to ensure the safeguarding of life and property.
• Directs and oversees the Department's operations, ensuring compliance with relevant laws, ordinances, and policies.
• Prepares the annual operations budget and diligently monitors expenditures within the allocated budget.
• Conducts thorough reviews of incidents, accidents, and miscellaneous reports to ensure accuracy and completeness.
• Exercises oversight over the investigation of criminal offenses occurring within the jurisdiction of the City.
Interested candidates please visit our website at http://hapeville.org/ to complete the application process. Please be sure to include a cover letter, resume, references, training history and salary history along with complete job application and all background investigation forms.
Questions, contact Stacie Johnston. Email: [email protected]. Phone: (404) 669-2115. All documents are required to be considered as a “complete” submission.
• Bachelor's Degree required in Criminal Justice, Public Administration, Law Enforcement, Police Administration or similar degree; Master’s Degree preferred
• The successful candidate will have at least 5 years of experience as a high-level commander/administrator (Lieutenant or above) in a similarly sized police department and show progressive supervisory/management experience over a 10-year period with a range of operational and administrative experience.
• Experience should include leadership responsibility and training in various management functions such as HR, legal, discipline, hiring, and budget.
• A record of continuing career education and development is required.
• Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a baccalaureate degree in a course of study related to occupational field.
• Must possess or acquire within a reasonable time a valid Georgia driver’s license, Georgia P.O.S.T. police officer certification and Georgia Chief certification.
• Must pass a comprehensive background investigation and drug screening.
• Previous experience working within a Council/Manager form of government is preferred.
NOTE: This job description should not be interpreted as all-inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of the position. The incumbent may be requested to perform job responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this description.
Interested candidates may email or mail a cover letter, resume, references, training history and salary history along with complete job application and all background investigation forms to: Stacie Johnston, Human Resources Manager, City of Hapeville, 3468 North Fulton Avenue, Hapeville, GA 30354. Email: [email protected]. All documents are required to be considered as a “complete” submission. Any questions, please call (404) 669-2115.
The City of Hapeville is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to equal access and equal treatment of all applicants and employees without regard to race, religion, color, creed, national origin, sex, gender, genetic status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Hapeville Civility Pledge-
The way we govern ourselves is often as important as the positions we take. Our collective decisions will be better when differing views have had the opportunity to be fully vetted and considered. All people have the right to be treated with respect, courtesy, and openness. We value all input. We commit to conduct ourselves at all times with civility and courtesy to each other.
For more information, please visit: http://hapeville.org/665/Chief-of-Police