This Chief of Staff II position at the Sheriff’s Office is an exciting opportunity to work in a large and multi-faceted department. This position will serve as senior advisor to the Sheriff, Undersheriff and Chiefs and will work to implement policies that support various programs and services provided by the Sheriff’s Office, with a focus on improving the quality of policing in our community.
The mission of the King County Sheriff’s Office (KCSO) is to be a trusted partner in fighting crime and improving the quality of life for our residents and guests. The hallmarks of service in the Office are Integrity, Teamwork, Service and Leadership. The KCSO strives to develop trust in our community by demonstrating transparency and accountability.
We are seeking a candidate who has a high level of leadership and communication experience. This role will serve to support the Sheriff, ensure alignment of the department’s direction with King County, provide leadership to senior management and provide effective communications to a wide range of audiences. This position also plays a key role in working with members of the King County Council and the King County Executive branch of government.
As the Chief of Staff II, you will provide strategic support to the Sheriff and her leadership team and serve as a liaison to the King County Council and the Executive’s Office. You will also be relied on to:
- Provide leadership to functions undertaken in the Sheriff’s Office and represent the Sheriff and the department on matters of institutional significance.
• Oversee and manage the flow and exchange of information, streamline operations, track and ensure that Sheriff accountabilities for assigned responsibilities are achieved.
• Identify and manage critical issues that have significant public impact which require the attention of the Sheriff, Undersheriff, Chiefs and/or other managers.
• Assure positive interactions with key constituents and drive initiatives on behalf of the Sheriff and the department.
• On behalf of the Sheriff, convene and coordinate development of policies and issues with the department’s senior management team and other internal and external stakeholders.
• Work with the Sheriff, Undersheriff and Chiefs to maintain and fulfill the department’s core responsibilities to the County Executive, the County Council and other governmental agencies.
• Contribute to the vision, mission and values of the department through responsible and effective leadership and work performance; serve as a key member of the department’s Executive Team.
• Support and sustain the department as a high-performing organization which models excellent organizational performance and exemplary customer service.
• Ensure that the Sheriff, Undersheriff and Chiefs are well prepared and in possession of materials and data required for meetings, conferences and other scheduled public events.
Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
To be considered for this position, candidates will submit a resume to include:
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably in public administration or related field (and)
• One or more years of progressive/senior management level experience in a medium to large department of a government agency (or)
• Any combination of education and experience that clearly demonstrates the ability to perform the job duties of the position
And a cover letter that conveys:
• Extensive management and leadership experience in a large public setting, operating within a complex multicultural and diverse environment, government, communications, public relations and/or related environment
• Working knowledge of techniques for building and sustaining community and public relationships
• Knowledge of County, local government and issues
• Knowledge of federal and state regulations involving government and legislative activities
• Knowledge of public sector issues involving organizational structure and project management initiatives
• Knowledge of effective management practices in a labor-intensive environment
• Knowledge of and sensitivity to multi-cultural and diversity issues, including managing and interacting with a multi-cultural staff from varying demographic backgrounds
• Demonstrates your excellence in written communication that shows your ability to format and share information in a clear and concise manner
Skill in analytical and critical thinking and strategic confluence
• Skill in identifying key business issues from multi-disciplinary perspectives
• Skill in preparing and presenting effective and accurate information
• Ability to think critically and strategically, foster creativity and encourage problem-solving
• Ability to relate complexities to individuals and to persuasively and professionally influence varied constituencies, including employees, customers, stakeholders and elected officials
• Ability to effectively engage in and sustain relationships with people from diverse cultures and socio-economic backgrounds
For more information, please visit: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/kingcounty/jobs/3944264/chief-of-staff-ii?keywords=chief%20of%20staff&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs