Do you have law enforcement or private investigative experience? Are you looking for an opportunity to serve your community in a meaningful and impactful way? If your answer is “yes,” then consider applying today to be a Background Investigator with the Champaign Police Department. This position is authorized for two years.
Responsibilities of Position
Our Background Investigator serves an integral role in hiring members of the Champaign Police Department. They conduct thorough investigations to vet potential candidates for sworn and civilian positions within the department. This includes reviewing applicant background packets; collecting information about applicants through in-person, mail, email, and telephone interviews with applicants, employers, family members, references, etc.; participating in police officer recruitment; and creating and maintaining detailed records and reports.
The annual starting salary range is $53,248 – $60,618, DOQ, plus an excellent fringe benefits package. For first consideration, apply by Sunday, March 5, 2023. Position will remain open until filled.
The City’s mission is to provide responsive, caring, cost-effective service in partnership with our community. The following values guide our work: Personal Integrity, Responsibility, Respect, Teamwork, Results. The City of Champaign is committed to promoting a work environment and a community that values and supports diversity and inclusion.
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Five years of law enforcement and/or investigative experience within the last ten years.
• Or an equivalent combination of training and experience that demonstrates the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
• Knowledge of investigative methods and techniques.
• Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
• Knowledge of applicable local, state, and federal laws, regulations, and guidance regarding background checks for civilian and sworn positions.
• Availability to travel out of the local area and work nights/weekends, overtime, or alternate hours, as necessary.
• Current valid state-issued driver’s license and good driving record.
• Possess or be able to obtain, within approved timeframe, and maintain, L.E.A.D.S. and NCIC certification.
• Ability to demonstrate confidentiality and protection of confidential information in compliance with privacy laws and requirements.
• An associate or bachelor’s degree with coursework in criminal justice or a related field.
• Prior background investigation experience.
• Prior public sector law enforcement experience.
For more information, please visit: https://www.champaignil.gov/jobs