The City of Portland is seeking police professionals for the position of Chief of the Portland Police Department.
Portland, Maine, located 100 miles north of Boston, is a lively city incorporating the character of yesteryear into a modern urban environment that boasts a working waterfront, multiple islands and an international Jetport. The City of Portland has long been a welcoming city that strives to be inclusive and a place where everyone, from all backgrounds and experiences, can have a strong sense of belonging. With a population of 68,000 residents (150,000 daytime) Portland is a city of families and neighborhoods. While being the largest city in the State, Portland is proudly described as a city with small-town character and feel.
The Police Department has an authorized complement of 223 personnel (160 sworn members, 27 civilian staff, 36 dispatch center staff) with the Chief overseeing a sworn staff of 1 Assistant Chief, 1 Major, 11 Lieutenants, 20 Sergeants and 122 Officers. By number of positions, the Portland Police Department is the largest municipal law enforcement agency in Maine. Operating with an annual budget in excess of $15M, the Department responds to more than 80,000 calls for service each year.
The Portland Police Department enjoys a history of public engagement and working openly in partnerships with the community to foster an atmosphere of cooperation and trust. Candidates meeting the position criteria with a history of exceptional leadership, capable of partnering with the community and leading officers and staff to move the Police Department to new levels of success, are encouraged to apply.
Requirements for Chief of Police candidates:
● Proven leader who recognizes the significance of working collaboratively and has the skills to recruit, retain, and lead a dedicated team of law enforcement and dispatch professionals.
● Proven track record of success in a diverse community; understands, communicates, and effectively interacts with people across cultures.
● An exceptional communicator, able to thoughtfully represent the interests of the Department and the City, with a high level of community presence and responsiveness.
● A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible law enforcement command experience with at least three years of upper level command experience in an organization presenting comparable complexity and challenges.
● A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in criminal justice, law enforcement, public administration or other field of study relevant to the position. A Master’s Degree is preferred.
● Completion of a nationally recognized advanced law enforcement administration course.
● Experience of successful leadership in a union setting.
● Comprehensive understanding of the various divisions and operations within an urban police department.
● Previous experience working within a Council-Manager form of government preferred
● Must be able to meet the state standards for certification as a Law Enforcement Officer by the Maine Criminal Justice Academy within one (1) year of employment and maintain that status and an active Executive Certificate for the duration of service.
Candidates must possess well-developed communication and public presentation skills, as well as the utmost integrity, and be committed to the long-range success of the Portland Police Department. The Police Chief is appointed by and reports to the City Manager. The salary range established for this position is $135,000 – $175,000 based on qualifications. The City offers an excellent benefit package. The position is open until filled, with the review of initial applications beginning with those received on or before March 20, 2023. Submit résumé, cover letter and contact information for five professional references to Paul M. Harlow at www.GovHRjobs.com. Electronic submissions are required. Telephone inquiries: (847) 380-3240.