This recruitment is open until the position is filled.
The City will begin reviewing applications on February 20, 2023.
Please attach a cover letter and resume.
Annual Salary Range:
$182,870 – $226,244
The City of Tempe offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
• Pay Increases occur in July
• 12 Paid Holidays, 1 Personal Day, 8 hours Winter Holiday Leave
• Vacation Accrual; starts at 9.33 hours/month
• Sick Leave Accrual; 8 hours/month
• Medical, Dental and Vision Benefits
• Wellness Program Discount on health premiums
• Medical Reimbursement Program; $53/month
• Tuition Reimbursement; $6,000/year
• Public Safety Retirement Personnel System
• Supplemental Retirement Plans through Nationwide; 457, 401K, and Employer contribution
• Position is eligible for 56 hours of executive leave per year
• $500 a month contribution towards deferred compensation
To view the employee benefit summary, please visit:
Employee Benefit Summary
Department / Division:
Police Department / Office of the Chief
This position is classified as safety sensitive.
Requires eight (8) years of supervisory experience in law enforcement, including three (3) years of experience at the rank of Commander or higher.
Candidates must have the minimum amount of work experience. Years of experience are based upon a full-time work schedule (2,080 hours per year). The sum of an applicant’s full-time and/or part-time qualifying work experience must meet or exceed the stated minimum qualification. Education will not substitute for the required work experience; however, related unpaid and/or volunteer work experience may be used as qualifying work experience.
Requires a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in criminal justice, public administration, or degree related to the core functions of this position.
The term “equivalent” means that directly related work experience exceeding the required work experience will substitute in equal time increments for college-level education, for example: one year of additional directly related work experience will substitute for one year of college education (30 credit hours).
Certifications, Licenses, and/or Registrations:
• Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license
• Must possess or obtain within one (1) year of hire certification by AZPOST.
The Police Chief must live within a 10-mile radius of Tempe city limits within a time period designated by the City Manager.
Applicants considered for this job classification must pass the following:
– Post offer/pre-employment drug screen. Employees in safety-sensitive job classifications are prohibited from all marijuana usage whether medical or recreational
– Post offer/pre-employment physical
– Police background check
– Polygraph examination
For a complete list of City of Tempe job descriptions go to:
Job Descriptions | City of Tempe, AZ
- This position is FLSA Exempt which means employees are not eligible for overtime compensation and/or compensatory time.
- This classification is unclassified which means the employee, or the City can terminate the employment relationship at any time, for any or no reason, with or without cause or notice.
- Employees in this position are part of the Senior Management Team (SMT).
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: The City of Tempe is an Equal Opportunity / Reasonable Accommodation employer. The City does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, familial status, age, disability, and United States military veteran status. Pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will make a reasonable accommodation(s) during the recruitment & selection process. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting Human Resources at 480-350-8276. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation.
For more information, please visit: https://www.tempe.gov/government/human-resources/careers