Department: Public Safety
Job Description: Public Safety Chief
Salary Range: $60,000 – $85,000
Under direction of the Airport Director, the Public Safety Chief is responsible for managing the police/fire force for the Columbus Airport. This position is also responsible for completion of the daily operations tasks normally associated with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Part 139 commercial service airport. The force consists of full time Public Safety Officers, part time officers, and a full time Security Specialist.
Reports To: Airport Director
- Supervising Public Safety Offices in their tasks of responding to fires and medical emergencies, protecting life and property, maintaining vehicles, operating various communications systems, office dispatching and reception, and preparing and writing reports. Supervise the investigating of incidents/crimes, responding to various emergencies, enforcing traffic laws, preparing complete and accurate reports, preparing cases for prosecution, appearing as a court witness, maintaining contact with citizens regarding police problems and preserving good relationships with the general public, and any other duties that may be required.
- Appears before the Columbus Airport Commission to explain departmental plans, request, and activities as directed.
- Must be able to prepare written and oral reports for and attending the board meetings of the Columbus Airport Commission and such other meetings as the Commission or Director specifies from time to time.
- Supervise Public Safety Office in the execution of duties associated with daily airport operations as provided for by Federal regulation.
- Must have the ability to establish and maintain an effective and efficient Department.
- Assuring that all required county, state, and federal records and reports are compiled and submitted.
- Preparing, submitting and managing the budgets for the Public Safety Department.
- Preparing and maintaining Airport Certification Manual and Airport Emergency Plan.
- Ensure compliance with Transportation Security Administration (TSA) regulations through the approved Airport Security Program.
- Representing Columbus Airport Public Safety Department to all outside fire and law enforcement agencies.
- Other duties as assigned.
Citizen of the United States, who shall have graduated from a POST approved Basic Academy and possession of a POST Advanced Certificate, and/or have achieved status as a State of Georgia Certified Airport Firefighter. Successful candidate will have one year from date of hire to obtain both POST and Airport Firefighter qualifications described above as a condition of continued employment. Possess a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college in fire or police administration, or related field is desired. At the discretion of the Commission, a combination of training, background and experience may be substituted for educational requirements. Shall have a minimum three (3) years’ experience in an increasingly responsible police or fire agency management position.
Possession of, or ability to obtain within sixty (60) days of hire a valid drivers’ license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
Complete criminal history records check and drug screening. Complete six months probationary employment period.
Please send your resume, certifications, and cover letter to Danyell Barboa, email@example.com. Make sure to enter “PS Chief Resume” in subject line.
For more information, please visit: https://gachiefs.com/job/public-safety-chief/