The City of Roanoke (population 100,220), the largest municipality in southwest Virginia, encompasses 43 square miles. It is the principal municipality of the Roanoke Metropolitan Statistical Area. The City provides its diverse population of residents 49 officially designated neighborhoods, 60 parks, and more than 90 miles of greenways and trails. Roanoke has 24 public schools, 16 private schools and twelve college and universities within 25 miles. Roanoke serves as the region’s education, medical, shopping, recreation, and cultural hub anchoring Virginia’s Blue Ridge.
The City of Roanoke, a full-service urban community, is seeking police professionals with experience as deputy police chief or position with similar duties and responsibilities as candidates for the position of Deputy Chief of the Roanoke Police Department. The Police Department has a complement of 268 sworn officers, consisting of a Chief, 2 Deputy Chiefs, 4 Captains, 12 Lieutenants, 30 Sergeants and 208 Officers. There are 50 Civilian positions that support the services provided by the Department. Candidates meeting the position criteria with a history of exceptional leadership, capable of moving the Police Department to new levels of success, are encouraged to apply. The Roanoke Police Department enjoys a history of working openly in partnership with the community to foster an atmosphere of trust. There are two Deputy Chief Positions (Operations and Support Services) expected to be filled through this recruitment. The positions are being filled following the recent retirements of both Deputy Police Chiefs.
A candidate for the position of Deputy Chief of Police:
• Must be a proven leader, who recognizes the significance of working collaboratively, both within the Department and in the community.
• Must be an exceptional communicator, able to thoughtfully represent the interests of the Department and the City, with a high level of community presence.
• Must possess a bachelor’ degree with major course work in the field of law enforcement, public administration or related field; a Master’s Degree is preferred.
• Have executive management training from a premier law enforcement training organization such as the FBI National Academy, Senior Management Institute through the Police Executive Research Forum, Northwestern University Center for Public Safety or the Southern Police Institute, or comparable executive management program.
• Must have at least ten (10) years of related command experience as a Deputy Chief or position with similar duties and responsibilities in similarly sized police organization, with oversight of Police Department Operations, Criminal Investigations, Police Services and/or administration.
• Experience as a police department administrator in a CALEA Accredited Agency is preferred, with a commitment to sustaining in Roanoke the programs and benefits derived from the accredited status.
• Have a proven track record of success in a diverse community; understands, communicates and effectively interacts with people across cultures.
• Must be a Certified Law Enforcement Officer in the State of Virginia, or able to attain certification through the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Service within one year of employment.
Candidates must possess well developed communication and public presentation skills, as well as utmost integrity, and be committed to the long-range success of the Roanoke Police Department. Deputy Police Chiefs are appointed by and report to the Police Chief. The salary range for the position is $93,776 to $130,473 DOQ. The City offers an excellent benefit package.
Submit resume, cover letter and contact information for 5 professional references to the attention of Joseph A. De Lopez and Paul M. Harlow at: www.GovHRjobs.com review of applications beginning with those received on or before September 23, 2022. Electronic submissions are required. Telephone inquiries: (847) 380-3240.
For more information, please visit: https://www.govhrusa.com/careers-page-govhr/?rpid=762370&postid=Hei86qhLcOQ