This position is responsible for directing the operations of the City of Lawrenceville Police Department.
• Develops, plans and implements department goals and objectives; recommends and administers policies and procedures.
• Coordinates department activities with those of other departments and outside agencies or organizations; prepares and presents staff reports to the City Manager, Mayor, and City Council.
• Directs, oversees and participates in the development of the department’s strategic plan; assigns work activities, projects and programs; monitors work flow; reviews and evaluates work products, methods and procedures.
• Supervises and participates in the development and administration of the Police Department budget; directs the forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; monitors and approves expenditures.
• Selects, trains, motivates and evaluates personnel; provides or coordinates staff training; works with employees to correct deficiencies; ensures discipline is progressive and administered in a fair and consistent manner.
• Attends and participates in professional groups and committees such as city, county and police conferences and meetings with other public officials.
• Coordinates law enforcement activities with the activities of other city departments and other law enforcement agencies.
• Initiates internal investigations when appropriate and provides corrective action as needed.
• Performs related duties.
The ideal candidate will posses:
• Knowledge of law enforcement, traffic control, crime prevention, criminal investigation, and criminal process and arrest procedures, methods and techniques.
• Knowledge of search and seizure and evidence preservation and presentation principles.
• Knowledge of strategic planning, personnel management, and budget management principles.
• Knowledge of relevant laws, ordinances, court procedures, legal precedents, and government regulations.
• Knowledge of program assessment principles.
• Knowledge of management and supervisory principles and practices.
• Skill in the preparation of clear and precise administrative reports.
• Skill in the interpretation and application of federal, state and local laws and regulations.
• Skill in planning, organizing, analyzing, decision making, and problem solving.
• Skill in the use and care of firearms and other standard and specialized equipment.
• Skill in public relations.
• Skill in interpersonal relations.
• Skill in oral and written communication.
* A Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice or related field; Master’s degree preferred. A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible management or leadership positions at the rank of Lieutenant or above.
* Must be Georgia Peace Officer’s Standards and Training Council (POST) certified or have the ability to obtain certification within one (1) year.
* Must possess or be able to obtain a valid Georgia Driver’s License. Completion of executive management or equivalent training.
* Proven track record of success in a comparable community. Demonstrable commitment to equity and inclusion.
* Understanding of the importance of addressing mental health needs in the community. A proven exceptional communicator with ability to inspire credibility and trust both externally and internally.
Compensation & Benefits:
The expected starting salary range for this position is $121,868 – $184,151 (depending on qualifications of the selected candidate), with a comprehensive benefits package, including no cost health, vision, and dental insurance options. The Chief of Police position also includes a City-provided vehicle and paid vacation. The City provides free short-term disability, long-term disability, accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) and life insurance that pays two times the employee’s annual salary. The City’s generous retirement plan provides a 6% contribution to the plan with an additional 4% contribution match if the employee also contributes 4%.
How To Apply:
Interested candidates must submit a cover letter, resume, at least five job-related references and salary history to PO Box 2200, Lawrenceville, GA 30046, or email to email@example.com, or hand-deliver to the Human Resources Office at City Hall.
For more information, please visit: http://www.lawrencevillega.org