The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey (PANYNJ) conceives, builds, operates, and maintains infrastructure critical to the New York/New Jersey region’s trade and transportation network. These facilities include America’s busiest airport system, marine terminals and ports, the PATH rail transit system, six tunnels and bridges between New York and New Jersey, the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan, and the World Trade Center.
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey seeks highly skilled and experienced law enforcement command professionals to fill the rank of Captain in its Port Authority Police Department.
The Port Authority is seeking candidates with strong law enforcement, leadership, command, and communication skills; labor relations experience; a history of successful partnerships with local, state, and federal agencies and other law enforcement jurisdictions; and a demonstrated, successful record of managing police personnel, resources and administration.
The security functions of the Authority continue to be streamlined, centralized, and strengthened with the goal of increasing their effectiveness and efficiency. Any new police commanders hired pursuant to this search will become a critical element of leading this larger security transition in the Port Authority Police Department.
Under the command of the Superintendent of Police/ Director of Public Safety, the candidates selected for these positions will exercise full-scope, day-to-day operational command of distinct, geographically organized PAPD units ranging in size from 80 – 250 personnel.
These individuals will be expected to uphold the law; preserve and protect patrons, employees, and property of the Authority; operate their units in an effective and cost-efficient manner; develop strong interagency and private-sector partnerships for the purpose of achieving a maximally efficient policing and security structure; and command, motivate, inspire, and maintain proper order and discipline among subordinates.
Major responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Supervising day-to-day police functions, developing uniformed staff to a high degree of competence, and overseeing the training and assignment of subordinates
• Enforcing discipline, good order, and the highest standards of personal and unit probity
• Managing and participating in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for assigned programs
• Planning, monitoring, evaluating and implementing efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods, procedures, techniques, and equipment utilized in the conduct of all activities assigned to police personnel and making recommendations to eliminate inadequacies or improving operations, service, and staffing levels, while promoting change management to ensure successful implementation
• Directing staff, analyzing problems, identifying solutions and implementing recommendations in support of goals, modifications to police programs, policies, and procedures as appropriate
• Integrating public safety and security strategies with the agency goals and objectives
• Developing and maintaining lines of communication and cooperation with peers in surrounding local, state, and federal agencies; coordinating joint operations with outside agencies; and mitigating conflicts with other departments or agencies
• Attending and participating in professional group meetings, maintaining awareness of new trends in law enforcement, and incorporating new developments as appropriate
• Developing and maintaining collaborative partnerships with Facility general managers and their staff as well as other stakeholders, both internal and external to the Port Authority.
POSITION ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS:
► A minimum of 60 college credits from an accredited college or university, toward a major in criminal justice, law, social science, or related field with Ten (10) years of law enforcement experience with a sizeable uniformed work force.
► A minimum of five (5) years supervisory experience as a police commander of a sizeable uniformed workforce.
For more information, please visit: http://www.jointheportauthority.com