The City of College Park, Georgia (pop. 15,053) seeks qualified law enforcement professionals for the position of Police Chief. The City desires a forward-thinking leader with a demonstrated commitment to community-oriented policing and a track record of ethical and effective management. Additionally, candidates should demonstrate a level of emotional intelligence, political savvy, and empathy sufficient to work cooperatively with City leaders, residents, and community stakeholders while cultivating a positive organizational climate and high morale within the police department.
As the home to 8,000 hotel rooms, the second-largest convention center in Georgia, a brand-new sports arena, the largest private school in the continental United States (Woodward Academy), a thriving Main Street corridor, and a large portion of Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, College Park is a small town with the budget, amenities, challenges, and complexities of a much larger city.
The Police Department has a total of 155 personnel, with the Chief supervising a command staff of one Deputy Chief and three Majors who collectively oversee patrol and investigations, E911, municipal court and jail operations, as well as code enforcement. Candidates with experience in racially and economically diverse urban communities and who demonstrate a high level of integrity, a sense of urgency, and the ability to employ interdisciplinary approaches to improve public safety and quality of life, are invited to apply. Those with experience as Chief, Assistant/Deputy Chief, or a rank commensurate with a Chief’s duties and responsibilities will receive highest consideration.
Requirements for Police Chief candidates:
- Proven track record of success in a comparable community and a demonstrable commitment to equity and inclusion
• An exceptional communicator with the ability to inspire credibility and public trust and interact respectfully with citizens from all backgrounds
• A firm grasp of municipal law enforcement methods and the willingness to adapt to evolving standards and practices in accordance with community needs and expectations
• Bachelor’s degree in political science, criminology, criminal justice, or related field required; Master’s degree preferred
• Minimum of fifteen (15) years’ law enforcement experience and a minimum of five (5) years as a Lieutenant, Captain, or higher rank in a similar sized agency
• Georgia POST certification or ability to obtain certification within one (1) year
• Completion of executive management or equivalent training (e.g., FBI National Academy, Southern Police Institute, Police Executive Research Foundation, etc.)
• Valid State of Georgia driver’s license and satisfactory motor vehicle record (MVR)
The Police Chief is appointed by and reports to the City Manager. The salary range for this position is $129,299 – $160,331. Apply online by May 10, 2022, at www.GovHRjobs.com, with resume, cover letter and contact information for five work-related references to the attention of Dele Lowman, Senior Vice President, 630 Dundee Road, #225, Northbrook, IL 60062. Tel: (847) 380-3240 x141.