Chief of Police
JOB TITLE: Chief of Police
AGENCY: City of Calexico
LOCATION: Calexico, CA
FILING DEADLINE: January 24, 2022
SALARY RANGE: $114,495 – $139,173 Annually
The City of Calexico CA is seeking its next Chief of Police. The purpose of the Calexico Police Department is to safeguard the lives and property of those we serve and to hold perpetrators accountable for their actions. Through community partnership, the department will work diligently every day to reduce the incidence of crime and improve the quality of life. Our mandate is to do so with honor and integrity, while at all times conducting ourselves with the highest ethical standards to maintain public confidence. The Calexico Police Department consists of two divisions: Operations (Patrol) and Support Services (Records, Communications, Animal Control, Evidence, Parking Enforcement, and Reserves). Currently, there are 37 full-time and two part-time employees in the Department.
Under the direction of the City Manager, the selected individual will plan, organize, control, and direct the activities and personnel of the Calexico Police Department; assure the protection of life and property and prevention of crimes; direct Department operations, including crime prevention, law enforcement, public relations, border patrols, and related functions; and supervise and evaluate the performance of assigned personnel.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will be a collaborative, seasoned innovator who leads from a position of humility, compassion, and courage. The next Chief will be out in the community, meeting people, responsive, and sensitive to the community’s needs, particularly our hard to reach and disadvantaged community partners. The ideal Chief leads by example, is transparent and an engaging team-builder who is able to lead a professional law enforcement agency engaged in proactive community-policing. The successful candidate will have excellent communication and interpersonal skills necessary to build positive working relationships and professional partnerships, and be a collaborative, inclusive, and ethical leader. The City’s Chief of Police should be accessible to all, relate well to the rank and file, lead with fairness, and embrace workforce diversity in recruiting and hiring. The successful Chief will provide consistent, honest, and proactive communication up and down the chain-of-command. The successful Chief will be a champion of outreach into the community and able to cultivate successful relationships with community groups and civic leaders as well as neighborhood groups and associations. The ideal candidate should be apolitical, yet politically savvy. He/She will work closely with the City Manager, City Council, and community. He/She will have a track record as an effective change agent; motivational, proactive, innovative, and compassionate, as well as flexible and patient. The Chief’s passion for police work in service to the community will be a hallmark of his/her daily endeavors.
Key Attributes and Characteristics
• Humility. A steadfast leader who can serve with empathy and compassion.
• A leader who will set the example, be visible, and can build a community-focused environment while ensuring inclusiveness, transparency, and trust within the department and the City.
• Politically astute. Understand and be conscientious of community perception and needs. Be an example to others by being accountable, setting a positive example, and setting a high standard of professional and personal integrity.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; possesses humility, is honest, and cares about their community and the people he/she leads.
• A compassionate manager who provides staff support, takes an interest in employee growth and development, mentoring, as well as their physical and mental health.
• The ability to collaborate and build consensus and partnerships with outside agencies.
• A visionary leader who understands small town nuances and strives to achieve the city’s long-term vision for its Police Department.
For more details about this opportunity, please visit the job brochure at:
To be considered, please submit a resume, cover letter, and five work-related references at:
For additional information and to apply, please visit: https://koffassociates.com/police-chief-2/