Michigan Court of Appeals
Salary: $78,487.92 – $103,147.20
The Michigan Court of Appeals currently is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Security Director. The Security Director supervises court security in the Court of Appeals (COA) four district offices. Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop division plans based on the COA goals as determined by the chief judge and administrative team. Ensure that managers and/or supervisors translate division plans into staff objectives to accomplish the COA goals.
• Lead security staff, which includes assessing human resource needs, recruiting highly qualified staff, determining staff development needs, and providing development resources, recognition, discipline, and compensation recommendations.
• Develop concise performance communication plans (PCPs) for managers and/or supervisors. Meet with managers and/or supervisors regarding plans at an appropriate frequency and document those meetings. Ensure that managers and/or supervisors have PCPs in place for staff, meet with staff on PCPs on a regular basis, and document those meetings where appropriate.
• In consultation with the chief judge and finance department, manage division operations within the Court’s budget.
• Provide armed security and basic first aid response for the COA and all who work in or visit COA facilities and conduct background investigations for all new hires.
• Provide continual communication and consultation to the Chief Judge and COA division directors regarding risk, threats, or tangential issues, which affect the COA employees or property.
• Assess the COA district offices for potential vulnerabilities and recommend, implement, and oversee security projects and enhancements.
• Monitor security systems and supervise adherence to Michigan ionizing radiation rules governing the use of x-ray radiation security devices.
• Develop and maintain written operational procedures to ensure the safety of all facilities, employees, visitors, and determine security analysis in preparation for off-site judicial events.
• Maintain 24-hour on-call duty status in order to respond to immediate safety needs of members of the Court.
• Serve as liaison with state, local, and federal government law enforcement and fire-fighting agencies to coordinate court security activities in all four districts.
• Oversee the service of all bench warrants issued by the COA and serve as the Michigan Law Enforcement Information Network (LEIN) access manager for the COA.
• Maintain liaison relationship with parking office for access cards, employee parking issues, and manage Enterprise Buildings Integrator system for all COA districts.
• Prepare, edit, distribute, and review annually the emergency preparedness plan for all COA districts.
EDUCATION: Associate’s degree or equivalent with a course in criminal justice, or a related field. Concealed weapons permit and the ability to successfully complete a weapons proficiency program with annual certification based on Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards.
EXPERIENCE: A minimum of ten years of law enforcement, or security-related experience is required, with three years of supervisory experience.
Basic computer skills;
• Interact with and de-escalate difficult individuals;
• Strong interpersonal skills;
• Operate x-ray equipment;
• Mentor and coach.
WORK LOCATION: Any of the following; Hall of Justice, Lansing, MI; Cadillac Place, Detroit, MI; or State Office Building, Grand Rapids, MI. Occasional travel to the District offices is required.
TO APPLY: Please send your cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Security Director” in the subject line. If you are unable to send applicant materials electronically, please contact Judicial Human Resources (517) 373-1147.
November 12, 2021, 5:00 p.m.
For more information, please visit: https://www.courts.michigan.gov/4aa03e/siteassets/job-postings/security-director-court-of-appeals.pdf
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER