City of New York
OFFICE OF THE SPECIAL COMMISSIONER OF INVESTIGATION
FOR THE NEW YORK CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT
Job Vacancy Notice
Civil Service Title: Confidential Investigator Level: L0
Title Code No: 3114A Salary: $57,488 – $77,100
Office Title: Confidential Investigator Work location: 80 Maiden Lane, New York, NY
Division/Work Unit: SCI Number of Positions: multiple positions available
The Office of the Special Commissioner of Investigation for the New York City School District (“SCI”) has broad authority to
investigate wrongdoing by employees, contractors, and vendors doing business with the New York City Department of Education
(“DOE”) – the nation’s largest school district. SCI performs highly confidential and sensitive investigations and studies
concerning corruption, misconduct, or other illegal, unethical or improper activities both, within and outside of the DOE, and
seeks to develop and implement plans and programs to control and prevent such illegal or improper practices. The office also
serves as the Inspector General for the Teachers’ Retirement System of the City of New York and the New York City Board of
Education Retirement System.
SCI is seeking an experienced, self-motivated candidate to serve as a Confidential Investigator. The successful candidate will
work on highly confidential and sensitive investigations concerning corruption, criminal activity, unethical conduct, and other
misconduct within the New York City School System. The Confidential Investigator will be required to question subjects and
witnesses, including child victims of sexual misconduct, as well as examine/analyze records and documents. The Confidential
Investigator will maintain case records, prepare reports and briefs, and analyze specific data gathered as a result of investigations
by this Office, and will also be responsible for the preparation of reports on investigations and making recommendations for
possible future investigations or legal actions.
THOSE HIRED BY SCI ARE DOE SALARIED EMPLOYEES AND NYC RESIDENCY IS NOT REQUIRED.
*As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a
reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met
by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.
1. A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent and four years of satisfactory full-time experience in an
industrial or governmental agency in the field of investigation, auditing, law enforcement, security, inspections, or in a major
operational area of the agency in which the appointment is to be made, or
2. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college; or
3. Education and/or experience equivalent to “1” or “2” above.
1. A significant number of years of experience (five or more years of experience preferred) in conducting
investigations preferably with a law enforcement or investigative agency.
2. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college, preferably in accounting or a related field (such as business
administration, finance, business law, or public administration).
3. Experience with investigating sexual misconduct and/or financial crimes and performing fieldwork such as interviews,
including of children, and surveillance.
4. Strong interpersonal, interviewing, and analytical skills.
5. Demonstrated strong writing skills.
6. Excellent organizational skills and proven ability to manage time efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
7. Ability to work well with all levels of staff and management.
8. Certified as a Peace Officer or interest in seeking certification.
9. Proficiency in Microsoft Office and various computer programs.
10. Foreign language skills is a plus.
11. Valid driver’s license strongly preferred.
Visit our website at https://www.nycsci.org/employment/ and follow the steps in the “APPLY ONLINE” section. Please do not
email, mail or fax your resume to SCI directly. Submissions of resumes does not guarantee an interview. Due to the high volume
of resumes SCI receives for positions, only selected candidates will be contacted.
Appointments are subject to Office of Management & Budget approval for budgeted headcount.
Post Date: September 20, 2021
For more information please click on the brochure: ConInvL0-9.20.2021