Under little or no direct supervision, administers and oversees all operations of the Police Department for the City of Lancaster. Supervises Division Commanders and other staff officers to ensure that law and order are maintained, laws and ordinances enforced, and that all departmental operations are properly maintained and implemented. Performs duties requiring analysis of broad instructions, objectives, and policies involving frequently changing conditions and problems. Works under stressful, high risk conditions. Must commit to reside within City of Lancaster incorporation limits. Reports to the City Administrator.
• Consults with Attorney General’s Office, South Carolina Department of Public Safety, South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy, and other outside agencies on matters of statewide policies
• Responds to all major crime scenes on a 24-hour-per-day basis; responds to calls after hours as needed.
• Advises and assists subordinates in highly complex criminal and other investigations.
• Attends required training courses and seminars; participates in required physical fitness activities.
• Attends monthly Council work sessions and regular Council meetings; attends department head meetings.
• Conducts and attends staff meetings with command personnel, and personnel meetings with all Police Department employees.
• Operates/uses a variety of police equipment, including restraining devices, protective gear, firearms, etc.
• Maintains required certifications and training as mandated by the Department.
• Actively participates in various professional organizations and serves on various boards and committees; attends civic club and other community organizations to explain and promote the
activities and functions of the department and to establish favorable public relations.
• Administers and oversees all operations of the Police Department; supervises all employees of the Police Department directly through subordinate supervisors.
• Performs supervisory duties including instructing, assigning, and reviewing work, planning, maintaining standards, coordinating activities, allocating personnel, acting on employee problems,
selecting new employees, and recommending/approving transfers/promotions, discipline, termination, and salary increases.
• Reviews the work of subordinates for completeness and accuracy; evaluates and makes recommendations for improvement as appropriate; offers advice and assistance as needed.
• Ensures compliance of subordinates with departmental and South Carolina training requirements.
• Ensures the consistent, effective, and professional enforcement of applicable City ordinances and State and Federal laws.
• Reviews and investigates citizens’ complaints.
• Develops and ensures implementation of policies and procedures to govern the activities of the Police Department.
• Plans and organizes department goals and objectives for presentation to City Council at annual Goal Session Meeting; communicates approved goals and objectives to department personnel.
• Develops and implements strategic plans for the development, effectiveness, and efficiency of departmental activities and objectives; develops and maintains five-year capital improvement
plan for the Police Department.
• Prepares annual budget for submission to and approval by City Council; monitors departmental budget and operates department within same.
• Prepares written justification on the purchase of all vehicles and equipment necessary for the operation of the Police Department.
• Performs other duties in accordance with the City Code of Ordinances, Chapter 20, including but not limited to operation of the City Jail and checking of street lighting.
• Performs responsible duties related to crime prevention and community relations programs; attends neighborhood Crime Watch meetings to enhance police/community relationships;
presents personal safety programs to citizens and implements problem-solving techniques and strategies.
• Demonstrates and promotes Community Team Policing by participating in community association meetings, community events, committees and other activities that promote community and
• Prepares and presents monthly reports of activities of the Department to City Council and answers questions related to same; prepares specific reports as requested by the City
Administrator or City Council.
• Prepares letters of correspondence to elected officials, citizens, and organizations in support of new legislation affecting the City, County, and State.
• A Commitment to reside within City of Lancaster incorporation limits.
Bachelor’s Degree in Business or Criminal Justice, with twelve (12) years of experience in law enforcement, at least five (5) of which have been at the management level; or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Must have successfully completed required courses through the South Carolina Department of Public Safety, Criminal Justice Academy Division, and hold required certifications.
Must possess a valid South Carolina Driver’s License.
Must maintain proficiency in the use of firearms and evasive driving techniques.
Application for Position: Applicants interested in this job opportunity may apply online at www.lancastercitysc.com (employment tab). This position is open until filled. EOE
Position May be Subject to the Following Background Checks: Credit Check, Criminal History, Driving History, Drug Test, Medical/Physical