The Police Chief directs all operations of the department. This is accomplished by developing and administering policies and procedures, commanding major incidents, preparing and presenting budgets, forecasting revenues and expenditures, monitoring revenues and expenditures, and overseeing public relations, managing all prevention, planning, criminal filing, investigation, resource planning, and enforcement activities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Commands major emergency incidents by responding to the emergency scenes, assessing needed resources, assigning tasks, and managing investigations
• Develops and presents the annual department budget and revisions by reviewing population growth and development trends, developing staffing and deployment plans, creating and updating strategic plans and needed resources, and forecasting expenditures and revenues
• Represents the department to the public, outside officials and agencies by presenting issues and agenda items, meeting with citizens and law enforcement officers to discuss problems and assist in the development of innovative policies, attending development review meetings, reviewing information and plans with staff, and attending meetings
• Directs administrative duties by overseeing hiring, training, evaluation, discipline, developing and implementing policies and procedures, reviewing administrative reports, and overseeing records and reports to various agencies
• Manages or administers grant funds
• Makes recommendations that impact the budget
• Determines the allocation of budget among divisions
• Manages the budget within assigned department
• Exercises a purchasing authority up to $10,000 without approval from supervisor
• Maintains current knowledge of changes in laws, new methods of enforcement
• Develop goals and objectives for the department
• Works with the City Council in carrying out directives
• Completes special projects assigned by the City Manager’s office regarding any police related program
• Works with citizens to coordinate traffic control, enforcement of ordinances, and provide ancillary services
• Provides for staff development and supervisory training programs
• Respond to Emergency Operations Center (EOC) to support incident management functions, resource management and situational awareness
• Serve as Operations Section Chief during law enforcement related events
OTHER DUTIES MAY INCLUDE
Coordinating emergency management activities, interacting with the news media, and representing the city on boards and commissions.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Requires a Bachelor’s Degree, and five (5) years of related work experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws, rules and procedures governing the activities of a law enforcement agency.
• Knowledge of principles and modern methods of law enforcement administration including organization, fiscal management, budgetary preparation and controls, program planning, implementation and administration.
• Knowledge of principles of employee supervision and personnel management including training, developing, mentoring, and disciplining of personnel.
• Skilled in the use small office equipment, including copy machines or multi-line telephone systems.
• Skilled in using computers for data entry.
• Skilled in using computers for word processing and/or accounting purposes.
• Skilled in using highly technical computer applications, such as GIS or CAD.
• Ability to maintain a professional demeanor and an orientation towards customer service.
• Ability to supervise, organize, and communicate effectively.
• Ability to exercise independent thinking within the limits of policies, standards, and precedents.
• Ability to use good judgment and ingenuity in situations for which no guidelines may be available.
• Ability to establish policies for using, acquiring, and/or maintaining technology systems.
• Ability to create and guide implementation of capital improvement plans or programs.
• Ability to prepare and present concise, logical oral and written reports.
• Ability to communicate effectively in a positive manner both orally and in writing to staff.
• Ability to handle sensitive public contacts, and the ability to deal with the public tactfully and courteously, but firmly when necessary.
• Ability to analyze situations and to adopt quick, effective, and reasonable courses of action based on surrounding hazards and circumstances.
• Ability to maintain constructive and cooperative working relationships with others.
• Ability to create plans for and guide implementation of new technology systems.
• Ability to cooperate with fellow employees as a team member.
CERTIFICATION, LICENSE AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
Requires a valid driver’s license, and Advanced Certification – Texas Commission on Law Enforcement.
For more information and to apply online, please visit: https://selfservice.duncanville.com/ess/EmploymentOpportunities/JobDetail.aspx?req=1&sreq=66&form=POCH&desc=POLICE%20CHIEF