To perform a wide variety of tasks in support of the law enforcement and crime prevention functions; to perform investigative work and other special assignments; and to perform a variety of technical and administrative tasks in support of the Police Department.
• General supervision is provided by a Police Sergeant.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• All behaviors comply with the Code of Conduct and Rules of Behavior outlined in Chapter 8 of the General Government Policies and Procedures Manual.
• Adheres to assigned work schedule as outlined in city and department attendance policies and procedures.
• Prepare reports on crimes and activities; attend roll call, briefings and administrative meetings.
• Participate in firearms training in order to maintain proficiency; participate in training for and operate other applicable law enforcement equipment and weapons.
• Use departmental computer equipment to input, review and gain records, information and other various data; write reports of arrests, investigations, and other involvement in law enforcement related activities.
• Participate in a variety of law enforcement activities and programs including making arrests of suspects in traffic and criminal offenses, executing search warrants, issuing citations, appearing in court for criminal, civil and other law enforcement related matters, attending roll call meetings; conduct surveillance; apprehend offenders; conduct interviews or interrogations with various persons relevant to investigations, arrests ,complaints and other law enforcement matters.
• Interact and work with citizens regarding existing and potential law enforcement and crime prevention problems; preserve good relationships with the general public; continually take an active role in educating the public regarding crime and crime prevention.
• Patrol business and residential areas; respond to alarms; enforce traffic and parking laws and ordinances; respond to and investigate traffic accidents; assist motorists in distress; operate MDC (Mobile Data Computer), speed detection devices, intoxilizer and other police equipment as appropriate.
• Respond to emergency calls.
• Participate in investigations involving crimes against persons and/or property; secure crime scenes; preserve evidence; direct vehicular and pedestrian traffic; maintain crowd control; interview witnesses, complainants and suspects; initiate and prepare field reports about offenses or crimes.
• Mediate civil and domestic disputes.
• Confiscate and document any illegal, stolen or found property.
• Respond to and assist with emergency medical situations as appropriate; respond to and assist with fires and other disasters or extraordinary events.
• Participate in a variety of technical investigative activities involved in identifying and prosecuting persons responsible for the commission of criminal offenses.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• May participate in tactical operations; may participate in undercover operations, stakeouts and other intelligence-gathering activities.
• Preserve, evaluate and record physical and trace evidence at crime scenes; evaluate all aspects of the crime scene for evidence.
• May administer polygraph tests.
• May participate in gathering information about or intervening in gang-related activities.
• May prepare and process fingerprint cards; may catalogue and file cards.
• May coordinate, prepare and present information to students in the Law Enforcement Teaching Students (LETS) program or at meetings of other organized groups; prepare information about crime prevention for media sources.
• May meet with school administrators and teachers about educational programs; interact with students participating in educational programs to provide information, answer questions and address concerns.
• May inspect home security systems.
• May conduct and assist in firearm and other police equipment and weaponry training for departmental personnel.
• May collect, package, transport, secure, document and inventory impounded property.
• May greet and provide information to persons visiting department; receive and record offense reports from persons at department; receive monies for delinquent utility bills; process and release impounded vehicles.
• Report conditions to other city, county, state or utility agencies which require immediate attention.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Candidates must meet the minimum qualifications below that have been established by State of Texas, Chapter 143, Police and Fire Civil Service Regulations.
• Candidates must be not less than 21 years of age or more than 50 years of age.
• Lateral candidates must be not less than 21 years of age or more than 55 years of age.
• Candidates must be a U.S. Citizen (under the provisions of State Civil Service Law).
Candidates must either:
• possess an associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s or doctorate’s degree from an accredited college or university* with a grade point average of 2.0 or greater; or
• have successfully completed 60 hours of college credit from an accredited college or university* in any subject, provided the calculation of hours successfully completed shall not include any remedial courses or course grades below “C”; or
• have completed a minimum of 2 years of patrol and/or investigative experience as a fulltime commissioned police officer plus successfully completed 30 hours of college credit from an accredited college or university* in any subject, provided the calculation of hours successfully completed shall not include any remedial courses or course grades below “C”; or
• have completed a minimum of 2 years of active military duty with an honorable discharge plus successfully completed 30 hours of college credit from an accredited college or university* in any subject, provided the calculation of hours successfully completed shall not include any remedial courses or course grades below “C”; or
• have completed a minimum of 2 years of full-time employment with the City of Mesquite Police Department, in a non-sworn position, plus successfully completed 30 hours of college credit from an accredited college or university* in any subject, provided the calculation of hours successfully completed shall not include any remedial courses or course grades below “C”; or
• have completed a minimum of 3 years active military duty with an honorable discharge in the United States Armed Forces, the reserve components the United States Armed Forces, the Texas State Guard, or any combination thereof. Must have a High School Diploma or GED; or
• have completed a minimum of 3 years of patrol and/or investigative experience as a fulltime commissioned police officer in an agency with 100 or more authorized sworn peace officer positions OR have completed a minimum of 6 years of patrol and/or investigative experience as a full-time commissioned police officer in an agency with fewer than 100 authorized sworn peace officer positions. Must have a High School Diploma or GED.
*An accredited college or university must be accredited by one of the following agencies:
• Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
• Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
• Middle States Commission on Higher Education
• New England Association of Colleges and Schools
• Higher Learning Commission – formerly North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
• Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges
• Western Association of Schools and Colleges
• Coursework from a foreign college or university will also be accepted after being reviewed by an agency that is certified by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) to determine the course taken, credit received and letter grade earned.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATES
• Possession of a valid Class C Texas driver’s license.
• Possession of, or ability to obtain certification as a Peace Officer by the Texas.
• Commission on Law Enforcement (TECOLE).
• Legal qualification, under the laws of the United States of America and the State of Texas, to possess firearms and ammunition.
For more information and to apply online, please visit: http://iwanttobeacop.net