VCUPD is seeking qualified candidates to apply for the 47th Basic Academy. The Virginia Campus Police Act of 1976 authorized the establishment of campus police departments at the public institutions of higher learning. Officers assigned to such departments exercise the powers and duties conferred by law upon police officers of cities, towns, and counties. Officers patrol on foot, bicycle and in automobiles in and around the university to determine security of facility and detect intruders. Officers respond to complaints and requests from the University Community. Officers generate reports, arrest or administratively handle complaints. Officers generate field contacts, self initiated activities and respond to radio dispatched calls. Be a part of one of the nation’s premier campus law enforcement agencies at VCU Police. With 95 sworn officers, 25 civilian employees, and an on-campus dispatch center advancing an “all-out community policing” mission in the heart of Richmond, VCU Police offers exciting opportunities for law enforcement careers in a dynamic urban setting. VCU Police serves two campuses and a diverse population of more than 50,000 students, faculty and staff.
The VCU Police Department has a competitive starting salary and a generous package of state benefits, including tuition waiver with up to 2 classes per semester, for officers wishing to pursue higher education. Benefits include:
- Starting salary: $52,000 with an increase to $58,000 after successful completion of Field Training
• Choice of health, dental, disability and life insurance plans offered through the Commonwealth of Virginia
• Generous leave benefits
• Flexible scheduling for officers with military commitments
• Free access to VCU Police Department gym facilities 24/7
• Tuition waiver program for studies at VCU and opportunities for professional development and career advancement
• Participation in the Virginia Supplemental Retirement System, VaLORS Program, and deferred compensation plans
• Equipment, uniforms and cleaning of Class A uniforms are provided
• Additional university benefits are described on VCU’s Human Resources website
• Supplemental Life Insurance (Optional)
• Off Duty Over-Time with pay
• The VCU Police Department has a Law Enforcement Apprenticeship Program (LEAP). Qualified applicants for Police Officer positions may be offered early employment in this program during the selection process, until the start of the Basic Academy. Full salary and benefits begin on the date of hire.
For more information about hiring standards and to apply to VCU Police, visit https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/107174.