OAKLAND COUNTY, MICHIGAN
DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC SERVICE (Justice and Community Services)
Oakland County, MI (pop. 1,251,000) County Seat: Pontiac/Waterford. Oakland County is located in southeast Michigan, immediately north of Detroit. With a population of 1.25 million and covering over 900 square miles, Oakland County offers cosmopolitan urban centers, lakefront living, historic town centers, and natural country settings within close proximity of an array of employment opportunities. Providing the diversity of choice vital to attracting and retaining a skilled workforce and high quality of life: 38,000 businesses, 1,100 foreign-owned firms from 39 countries, call Oakland County home. The county blends the State’s most robust economy with unmatched quality of life. This diversity makes Oakland County unique and competitive. Oakland County’s annual gross domestic product (GDP) is $100 billion, which represents 23% of the state of Michigan’s total GDP.
The County is governed by, David Coulter, the County Executive, elected County-wide to a 4-year term, and a 21-member Board of Commissioners who are elected by district for a two-year term of office. The Director of Public Service is an appointed position, serves at the pleasure of the County Executive and reports to a Deputy County Executive. The Director of Public Service functions as a multidiscipline, strategic leader, responsible for a wide range of public services including the divisions of:
- Children’s Village (youth out-of-home care, custody, and treatment): 234 FT employees; budget responsibility of approximately $25.3 million
- Community Corrections: 49 FT and 10 PT employees; budget responsibility of approximately $7.2 million
- Medical Examiner’s Office: 20 FT and 7 PT employees; budget responsibility of approximately $5.0 million
- Animal Control & Pet Adoption: 24 FT employees and 19 PT employees; budget responsibility of approximately
This position will also lead the County’s creation, implementation, and oversight of Criminal Justice reform.
Candidates with clear experience and passion for criminal justice policy initiatives are encouraged to apply. This position will advance the County’s community justice and public service interests to deliver innovative and equitable services to the citizens of the County. The Director of Public Service will be highly skilled in facilitating relationships with diverse constituencies and encouraging important policy discussions that intentionally include diverse perspectives.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in a relevant field of
- Have had at least five (5) years of relevant professional experience in a leadership
- Considerable knowledge of justice services related issues at the federal, state, county, or local
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Considerable experience reviewing and approving financial and operational
- Demonstrated experience setting priorities, goals, and
- Demonstrated experience in facilitating relationships that foster dialog from diverse
- Strong analytical, organizational and time management
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in a relevant field of study;
- Ten years or more of progressive relevant experience in a leadership position;
- Demonstrated ability to apply and contribute to state and national best practices;
- Proven track record in implementing new initiatives to meet organizational needs; and
- Well-developed skills in facilitating inclusive Salary range is $136,300 to $182,626 DOQE.
Apply online at www.GovHRjobs.com with resume, cover letter, contact information and three (3) professional references. Oakland County is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity, equity and inclusion and seeks candidates who represent a variety of backgrounds and perspectives. Questions regarding the position may be directed to the attention of Jaymes Vettraino, Vice President, GovHR USA, Tel: 847-380-3240 ext. 126.
Candidates will be reviewed upon receipt of application, with preliminary reviews to be completed by July 1, 2021. Click Here to Apply
Brochure Coming Soon