The city of Rockford is seeking candidates for the position of Police Chief. The Police Chief is the executive in charge of overseeing the Rockford Police Department. The police chief is responsible for the overall management and leadership of all police functions including strategy development, hiring, promotions, transfers, terminations, and staff recognition (302 sworn officers). Work involves responsibility for the efficient operation of the Police Department by assuring that law and order are maintained, that laws and ordinances are enforced, and that measures are implemented to prevent crimes and to protect lives and property. Work also involves consulting with City officials in determining overall plans and policies to be followed in conducting police operations. Work is performed with wide latitude in interpreting and applying policies, rules, and regulations; work performance is measured by total results obtained. The police chief works closely with the Board of Fire and Police Commissioners and interacts with the City Council members, as necessary. The Police Chief reports to the Mayor and City Administrator.
Minimum Requirements for Application
• Minimum of 5 years in a leadership role with demonstrated success within a law enforcement agency.
• Pattern of progressive achievement throughout his/her career.
• Bachelor’s degree required, preferably with emphasis in criminal justice, psychology, sociology, organizational development, public administration, or closely related field.
• Demonstrated competency in strategic planning and execution (ensuring mission, vision and values drive the organization), financial planning, and staff development founded in outstanding interpersonal skills.
• Experience in an urban law enforcement agency or comparable experience.
• Certification or ability to be certified as a law enforcement officer/peace officer in the State of Illinois.
• Possession and maintenance of a valid driver’s license.
• Employee must live within the corporate city limits of Rockford, IL following employment.
• Master’s Degree preferred.
• Management/leadership training from FBI National Academy, Senior Management Institute of Police, Southern Police Institute, or Northwestern Police Administration Training Program or equivalent strongly preferred.
HOW TO APPLY
Your application should include the following components:
1. A cover letter that addresses your qualifications (specific instructions provided below).
2. A résumé.
3. Completion of an Internet-based personal history questionnaire:
Your cover letter and resume must be submitted electronically to Industrial/Organizational Solutions (IOS), the consulting firm managing this executive recruitment process. IOS’ email address is RockfordPD@iosolutions.com. Call IOS at 708-410-0200 with any questions and ask to speak with Allison Johnston.
Your cover letter and résumé must be submitted electronically (via email, as described above) and your personal history questionnaire must be completed by 11:59 PM on July 1st, 2021.
Cover Letter Instructions
In a summary, please provide a written narrative describing how your past experiences (both law enforcement and non-law enforcement), trainings, education, and certifications, make you qualified and how they have prepared you for this role. Please also list and explain your top five personal attributes that you believe will aid Rockford Police Department and the community.
More detailed information about the process and position can be found here: https://iosolutions.com/product/rockford-il-police-chief/
Please direct any questions regarding this application to RockfordPD@iosolutions.com or Allison Johnston at 708-410-0200.
The city of Rockford is an Equal Opportunity Employer.