City of Burlington, NC
Burlington is a mid-sized community of approximately 55,000 located along Interstates 40 and 85 in central North Carolina. Only 25 minutes from either the Raleigh-Durham or Greensboro metro areas and only three hours from both the mountains and the coast, Burlington is in the center of anywhere you want to be. Burlington offers a high quality of living at an affordable price featuring vast recreational opportunities, retail and cultural amenities, nationally ranked healthcare facilities, and direct access to superior universities. The City of Burlington was founded in 1893 as a railroad maintenance hub. The community has a deep textile heritage but has evolved with the changing economy and is now home to many nationally recognized companies such as LabCorp, Honda Aero, Carolina Biological, and Glen Raven/ Sunbrella. The City operates under a Council-Manager form of government and is led by a five-member City Council elected at-large. Burlington is a full-service municipality with 17 departments: administration, finance and risk management, human resources, city clerk, economic development, information technology, inspections, planning, engineering, transportation, public works, animal services, water resources, legal, police, fire, and recreation & parks.
The City of Burlington, North Carolina is seeking an experienced and passionate leader to serve as Police Chief. The successful individual must be a strong and visionary leader who is team-oriented, possesses exceptional communication skills, and utilizes a management style that supports mutual trust and openness among all levels of the Department’s operations and within the Community. The Police Chief will be a key member of the City’s leadership team possessing highly developed communication and presentation skills with an ability to perform well under pressure and meet deadlines. The successful candidate will have in-depth knowledge and experience in the management of a municipal police department, providing a high level of community engagement and advanced crime prevention and problem-solving practices.
– Bachelor Degree in public administration, criminal justice or related degree in business, psychology, sociology, or communications required; Master’s Degree preferred
– Ten (10) years of progressive experience in police work, of which at least five (5) of those years must have been at the Command Staff/Executive Leadership in a department with similar complexity to the Burlington Police Department
– Completion of a major law enforcement management training program such as the FBI National Academy, Northwestern Center for Public Safety’s School of Police Management and Command, North Carolina State University Administrative Officers Management Program, the Southern Police Institute’s Administrative Officers Course, the Police Executive Research Forum’s Senior Management Institute for Police or the IACP’s Leadership in Police Organizations course;
– Must possess or acquire, within 60 days, a valid North Carolina driver’s license, and possess or acquire, within one year, North Carolina Criminal Justice Standards Training Certification for Police Officers.
To find out more details about the position expectations, please visit our website for the full recruitment brochure at www.mercergroupinc.com
Compensation and Benefits
• Salary for this position will be established commensurate with experience and qualifications of the selected candidate. Starting salary is expected to be in the range of $110,000 to $141,000.
• Comprehensive benefits package including state retirement, health, dental, flexible spending, tuition reimbursement, on-site health clinic, life insurance, long term care and various voluntary benefits. The City offers a generous leave program including vacation and sick leave, as well as eleven (11) paid holidays.
• The City of Burlington offers 5% of pay as a city paid contribution to the employee’s 401-K program managed by NC Office of the State Treasurer.
• The Burlington Police Department has a “state of the art” exercise and fitness facility that is free for all police staff.
• Take home vehicle and cell phone for business use will be provided by the City.
• Negotiable relocation expenses.
How to Apply
Interested applicants must submit by email a cover letter, resume, at least five job-related references, and salary history no later than close of business on June 14, 2021 to: Lisa Ward, Senior Associate, Mercer Group Associates, at email@example.com. Please direct any questions to Lisa Ward at 706-983-9326. Mercer Group will begin the process of developing a short list of candidates for additional vetting after closing of applications on June 15, 2021. Interviews will be conducted the week of July 19, 2021.
Alan Reddish, Senior Associate
107 Indigo Lane, Athens, GA 30606