|Arlington County Police Department (ACPD) is conducting a national search for a Chief of Police to lead a force that has consistently helped make Arlington County one of the safest in the country. With an annual operating budget of $72.3 million, 460 employees and 360 sworn personnel, ACPD is an award-winning, professional organization responsible for the enforcement of Arlington County ordinances and state laws within its limits and the safety and protection of Arlington County residents. Partnering with the community, the ACPD maintains a historically low crime rate and provides top-notch police services by committing to a geographic based philosophy that addresses crime through a shared relationship between residents and officers in the neighborhoods.
The Chief, who reports directly to the County Manager, is dedicated to upholding the ACPD’s mission “to reduce the incidence of crime and to improve the quality of life in Arlington County by making it a place where all people can live safely and without fear” by providing leadership functions including:
• Developing and communicating a strategic vision for the department;
• Engaging citizenry to reduce service delivery costs, organize and mobilize community groups, and gather intelligence;
• Leveraging technology to provide accurate, timely, real-time access to information that is presented in an interactive manner;
• Delivering timely, cost effective and efficient services;
• Predicting or adjusting priorities and needed services through crime analytics, geographic profiling, and integrated policing systems;
• Enhancing collaboration with other local, regional, and federal police agencies, justice organizations, and other public sector organizations; and
• Proactively managing change and fostering a climate that embraces change.
• Continuously assessing policies and practices re: use of force, crime reporting, emergency response, and crime prevention;
• Maintaining a high level of engagement with and accountability to a community that is growing in both size and diversity;
• Effectively deploying rapidly-changing, sophisticated technology, e.g., a new Records Management System, to improve performance, boost efficiency, and increase transparency; and
• Addressing the increasingly organized, global and digital challenges associated with criminal activities and networks to address organized crime, cybercrime, terrorism, trafficking activities and other offenses.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
Will have progressed through the ranks of a municipal police department and have considerable experience in a senior command role. The Chief will have a supportive and motivating leadership style that engenders team building and fosters cooperative relationships between all divisions throughout the department, with County leadership, County Board and the community, along with a strong record of achievement in the following areas:
• Progressive leader who understands modern law enforcement and emergency preparedness strategies and techniques;
• Practice accountability and stewardship and instill pride and confidence in staff;
• Be accessible, approachable, open minded, flexible, visible, engaging and genuinely care about department members;
• Committed to attracting, retaining and engaging a diverse workforce;
• Value and embrace change, technology, process improvement and innovation;
• Engender trust and credibility where “actions match words”;
• Be an effective communicator with strong interpersonal skills;
• Be capable of setting and communicating a strategic vision for the department and community;
• Mentor and value professional development and foster a work environment that motivates individuals to excel in their areas of responsibility and to meet the high expectations of the organization and community;
• Collaborate and demonstrate an ability to build rapport with elected officials, peers, community representatives, County leadership and department staff;
• Believe in and instill a philosophy of leadership consciousness that values a positive working influence within the community with the ability to build and maintain public trust; and
• Have a record of ethical and professional conduct that can withstand intense public scrutiny.
ACPD is comprised of the following divisions:
• Office of the Chief which is composed of staff who report directly to the Police Chief and are responsible for a variety of administrative and community support functions for the ACPD;
• Operations Division which provides the most visible police services to Arlington County and are the officers the public is most likely to come into contact with;
• Criminal Investigations Division which conducts follow-up investigations of serious felonies and misdemeanors that occur within Arlington County; and
• Systems Management Division which provides a variety of services and functions that support members of the police department as they conduct their official duties.
The successful candidate will have a Bachelor’s Degree in police science, criminal justice, public administration or related field, plus senior command experience in a municipal or highly urbanized law enforcement agency with a strong record of achievement in:
• Police administration and management coupled with broad technical and operational experience;
• Being a leader in law enforcement and well-versed in the latest law-enforcement techniques; and
• Collaborating with internal and external organizations to provide the highest level of proactive law enforcement that protects and serves all residents of Arlington County.
A comprehensive reference/background check will be completed, and employment will be contingent upon successful completion. Completion of the Commonwealth of Virginia Statement of Economic Interest form will be required of the successful candidate upon hire and annually thereafter.
The Chief of Police salary range is negotiable to $245,710.40. Starting salary will depend upon the qualifications and experience of the candidate selected. This position is in Arlington’s Executive Management Accountability Program (EMAP), in which Senior Executives are eligible for a negotiated salary/benefits package and evaluated and compensated based on a performance agreement linked to the County Management Plan, results achieved, and a multi-rater appraisal.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please submit a resume and cover letter detailing your experience to ArlingtonCo_Police_Chief@polihire.com. To assist with internal sorting, please only include your name (Last, First) in the subject line. This recruitment is open until the position is filled with a preferred filing date of February 15, 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a continuous basis. Applicants submitted by this date will receive first consideration.
FOR FULL PROFILE: www.polihire.com