Peoria, IL (pop. 111,400). The City of Peoria, IL, located in central Illinois on the Illinois River, seeks a highly qualified and motivated individual to fill the position of Emergency Communications Center (ECC) Manager. The position reports to the Assistant City Manager. The ECC is the telecommunications link between the citizens of Peoria and Peoria County, and its Police, Fire, and Emergency Medical Services. As part of the Peoria County 9-1-1 system, the ECC dispatches the Peoria Police Department, Peoria Fire Department, Peoria County Sheriff’s Department, Chillicothe Fire & Police, Peoria Heights Fire & Police, Advanced Medical Transport, Peoria County’s fire departments and Peoria County’s ambulance services. The population served is approximately 180,000.
The Peoria ECC provides a vital link for citizens to the emergency response professionals. Peoria County has had Enhanced 9-1-1 services since 1993. Peoria County also has Phase-2 wireless 9-1-1. Wireless phones that contain a Global Positioning System (GPS) chip can usually be located within 150 feet. Emergency Text to 9-1-1 is now available in Peoria County. Text to 9-1-1 service is available for those individuals who cannot safely make a voice call to 9-1-1 in an emergency, as well as the deaf and hard of hearing.
The Emergency Communications Center has a 2020 Budget of $4.87 Million, and is staffed by the ECC Manager, 1 Operations Supervisor, 6 Shift Supervisors and 30 Telecommunicators.
The ECC Manager’s primary responsibilities are management of the operation of the ECC and to oversee the Electronic Radio Systems for the City. This is accomplished by managing the day to day operations and staff of the division; making critical dispatch decisions; receiving, processing, and transmitting email messages; processing phone calls; retrieving voice mails; providing customer service; coordinating staff duties and tasks; updating Standard Operating Guidelines; and assisting with interviewing, testing, checking backgrounds, and the hiring of new staff members. Other duties include managing a budget; coordinating medical dispatch card protocol and all training for staff; handling vendor and maintenance issues; coordinating municipal partners and staff to manage systems, equipment, and software; and attending meetings as required.
Successful candidates must have:
• Excellent leadership, management, and interpersonal skills, including the demonstrated ability to interact positively with a wide variety of officials and staff during emergency service situations.
• Knowledge of police, fire and emergency operations and experience with quality management techniques are essential qualities.
• A bachelor’s degree and certification as a public safety communications professional are desired.
Successful candidates must also have:
- A minimum of five (5) years of successfully supervising a consolidated police, sheriff, fire, and emergency medical services dispatch center in a union environment, and certified as a NENA Emergency Number Professional.
• Extensive knowledge of 9-1-1, text to 9-1-1, Rapid SOS, P-25 radios systems, computer aided dispatch systems, automated fire dispatch systems, GIS mapping, interfaces with mapping, training standards of telecommunicators, Budgets, City Council Communications, FCC Licenses, Tower Lights, Traffic Preemption Systems, Administration of electronic services/radio vendor contracts is highly desirable.
• Additional desirable qualities include active participation in the Association of Public Safety Communications Officials (APCO), and National Emergency Number Association (NENA).
The starting salary for this position is $105,000. Establishment of residency within 20 miles of Peoria City Hall is required within a reasonable time of hire.
Interested Candidates may electronically submit a resume, cover letter and contact information for 5 professional references to GovHR USA consultants Joe De Lopez and Lou Rossi at www.GovHRJobs.com. Electronic submissions are required. Application Filing Deadline: January 22, 2021. Telephone Inquiries: GovHR USA (847) 380-3240. THE CITY OF PEORIA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
For more information and to apply online, please visit: https://govhrusa.applytojob.com/apply/nqhZhJEeWb/Peoria-IL-ECC-Manager