Chief of Police – Beloit, WI (pop. 36,966). Located on the Wisconsin and Illinois border, Beloit is a community with a proud legacy of strength, beauty and diversity. The City is the gateway to the State of Wisconsin from Illinois, greeting over one million tourists annually.
Beloit’s downtown is the historical, cultural and social center of the community located along the Rock River and Turtle Creek. Downtown Beloit has been recognized as a leading, and award-winning example of downtown revitalization and sustainability practices that includes a central business district along the riverfront park system. The City is home to renowned Beloit College.
The City, at 17 square miles, is a full-service municipality and prides itself on excellent customer service. The department enjoys strong working relationships with the city’s elected officials, business community, community leaders and other stakeholder groups.
The Chief of Police is responsible for providing executive leadership for the effective organization and supervision of all phases and operations of the department. The Chief oversees a department of 92 full and part-time personnel including 82 sworn officers, and a budget of more than $12.9 million. In 2019 the department responded to approximately 54,000 calls for service. Patrol officers and sergeants are unionized positions. Dispatch services are handled by the county.
The successful candidate will:
• Be a strong leader, and possess an ability to work with a variety of stakeholders;
• Be forward-thinking and an exceptional communicator;
• Possess a passion for public service and community policing;
• Be able to thoughtfully represent the interests of the department and the city, with a high level of community engagement; and
• Be comfortable working in a collective bargaining environment.
Candidates should also have:
• A Bachelor’s degree in police science, criminal justice, or related fields.
• Have at least five – seven years of service in law enforcement, including supervisory experience in a full-time, paid police department.
• Command leadership training such as the F.B.I. National Academy, Northwestern University’s School of Police Staff and Command, Southern Police Institute Command training or similar programs is preferred.
• Other equivalent combinations of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities may also be considered.
The Chief of Police is appointed by the Beloit Police and Fire Commission, and reports to the City Manager. The starting salary range is $130,000 – $135,000 +/- DOQ. An excellent City of Beloit benefit package is offered. Residency is strongly encouraged.
Candidates should apply by December 15, 2020 with resume, cover letter and contact information for five work-related references to www.GovHRjobs.com to the attention of Lee Szymborski, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road, #130, Northbrook, IL 60062. Tel: 847-380-3240. The City of Beloit is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For more information and to apply online, please visit: https://govhrusa.applytojob.com/apply/HUI3LLluEy/Beloit-WI-Chief-Of-Police