LOCATION: Southern District
BARGAINING UNIT / LEVEL: POAM Level 02
SALARY RANGE: $21.85 per hour / $45,448 annually + BenefitsGENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Under the immediate supervision of the Chief of Police, District Lieutenant, and Sergeant, work activities in this position primarily involve patrolling the Authority’s properties to prevent vandalism, fire, theft, and development of unsafe conditions; suppression of criminal activity involving the protection of life and property; enforcing laws and regulations of conduct affecting patrons and visitors; investigating crimes; apprehending those suspected of criminal action; and providing assistance, first aid, and information to park visitors. Will also perform ancillary operations, maintenance, public relations as directed.
1. Judgment: Employee can independently assess issues and problems effectively.
2. Confidence: Employee is decisive and has confidence in own judgment and abilities. Is able to give direction and hold others accountable.
3. Organizational Commitment & Integrity: Is a team player and committed to advancing the department’s cause. Is able to interpret policy and apply it to subordinates.
4. Service Orientation. Demonstrates commitment to the organization and helping others. Sees members of the Department and park patrons as customers. Follows-up on issues and tries to make things better.
5. Change Management: Understands the need for change. Ties change efforts to the needs of the organization. Helps others understand and adapt to change.
6. Impact and Influence: Is able to effectively communicate and educate others.
7. Developing Employees: Is able to delegate and motivate employees to solve problems and learn.
8. Results Oriented: Is self-directed and motivated.
• MCOLES Certified Officer or certifiable Police Academy graduate in the State of Michigan.
• Associates Degree or minimum 60 credit hours earned at an accredited school preferably in criminal justice, park administration, sociology, natural resources, or related field. (EQUIVALENCE: Two years related experience may be substituted for each year of college.)
• Possess a valid State of Michigan motor vehicle license and maintain an acceptable driving record.
• Unsullied personal life free from crimes of moral turpitude as determined by a criminal history and background investigation.
• Ability to perform all of the essential job functions and typical physical demands unassisted and without delay.
• Upon offer of employment, satisfactory completion of background check, physical exam to include drug screening, and psychological examination.
• Free from controlled substances other than those prescribed under a licensed physician’s care.
• Non-smoker on or off the job.
• Ability to observe situations analytically and objectively and to react with good independent judgment within legal guidelines.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective and positive relationships with co-workers and the general public.
• Ability to maintain proficiency with duty firearm in accordance with HCMA rules and regulations.
• May be required to adjust schedule to meet organizational needs, including special events, evenings, weekends & holidays.
• Ability to perform essential duties.
• Ability to observe situations analytically and objectively and to react with good independent judgement within legal guidelines.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective and positive relationships with employees and the general public.
• Sensitivity for cultural diversity among employees and park visitors.
• Knowledge of management functions, and law enforcement rules, regulations and procedures.
• Familiarity with community policing, police practices, and laws and rules of evidence.
• Ability to communicate verbally and in written form to prepare necessary reports and records.
• Ability to supervise and train employees.
A full Job Description can be obtained by contacting Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply, visit www.metroparks.com/hiring.