|Listening > Responding > Contributing
SHARE YOUR PASSION
If you’re a courageous and honest leader who can meet change with innovation to promote and carry out the College mission, this is the opportunity for you. Bring your expertise into our dynamic environment and increase the positive impact of your talent. Apply your skills and experience and spread your enthusiasm for excellence at Harper College.
We welcome you to inspire others, contribute to your profession, and enjoy the complete educational experience, collegial setting, and advanced resources of Harper. Share more than your expertise. Share your passion for success.
CHIEF OF POLICE
Harper College is currently seeking an experienced Chief of Police. The Chief of Police directs all activities of the Harper College Police Department (HCPD) including patrol, traffic, criminal investigation, parking enforcement, emergency management, safety and security, and administration services. The successful candidate will also develop and implement policies and procedures to assure continuing efficient operations; establish short- and long-term goals; and create an inclusive work and campus environment. You must have an unwavering commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and social justice, and will ensure all employees in the department demonstrate a similar commitment.
• Bachelor’s degree in criminal justice, public administration, social science or related field required. Master’s preferred.
• Completion of a major police management program such as the Federal Bureau of Investigations FBI National Academy is preferred.
• A minimum of five years of supervisory experience with a college/university police department or a municipal, county, state or federal law enforcement agency is required. Community College experience is preferred.
• Experience must include a strong emphasis on crime prevention, safety management and physical security.
• Must be a Certified Illinois Peace Officer or be able to receive Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board (ILETSB) certification.
• Annual mandatory qualification/certification required by law to include: Annual Firearms qualification and Police Chiefs 20-hour annual training
• Must have strong functional computer and software skills to include Microsoft Office Suite products and Oracle as well as law enforcement related software products.
• Openness to change and new methods, a passion for continuous learning and self-improvement, and a willingness to meet change with innovation to promote and carry out the College mission.
• Demonstrated ability to organize, supervise, train, motivate, and evaluate assigned staff.
• Ability to be a fair-minded, ethical, and honest leader with excellent interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills and the courage and integrity to lead and accept responsibility.
• Personal characteristics that ensure effective working relationships with all segments of the College and the public.
• Understanding, sensitivity, and commitment to meeting the needs of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the student, employee, and community populations.
To learn more about this position and apply, visit us at:
Harper College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, ethnic minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.