POLICE LIEUTENANT (serves as ASSISTANT CHIEF): Town of Middleburg FULL TIME (Equal Opportunity Employer)
This is a unique opportunity to join our team and experience community policing in beautiful Middleburg, Virginia. Every resident, business owner, and regular visitor knows our officers by their first names. Middleburg has over 800 residents and serves as the economic hub of commerce for southwestern Loudoun County, to include the equestrian, agrarian, and tourism sectors. Tens of thousands of visitors experience our Town during events and trips to our shopping and lodging destinations. We pride ourselves on offering true small-town policing while maintaining the skills and expertise to provide a full-service, 24/7 professional police department.
The Lieutenant serves a key role as the second-in-command for the Town’s Police Department. The Lieutenant has the authority to act on behalf of the Chief in his absence, and the Lieutenant is expected to manage all patrol operations (4 FT and 3 PT officers). The Town is undertaking major initiatives, to include planning for a new Police Headquarters, initial steps toward accreditation standards, and long-term succession planning.
The Lieutenant shall have a thorough understanding of the duties of patrol officers and shall assist and instruct the officers under his or her supervision in the proper performance of their duties. The Lieutenant occupies the first level of supervision in the department. His or her primary responsibility is exacting the proper performance of police duty from patrol officers according to community-oriented policing goals.
Specific duties and responsibilities of Lieutenant:
- Serves as acting Chief in the absence of the Chief.
- Performs all work required of a police officer.
- Prepares reports on offenses, calls for service, and daily reports, as well as administrative reports as directed.
- Supervises patrol officers as assigned by the Chief.
- Maintains an active, working knowledge of departmental oral and written administrative guidance and in relevant laws and local ordinances.
- Is the training coordinator.
- Submits a written report to the Chief regarding potential disciplinary actions by staff.
- Implements all orders received from the Chief.
- Accountable for the actions or omissions of officers under his or her supervision.
- Responds to emergencies, incidents, or dispatches as required. Takes command of the situation until relieved by the Chief.
- Actively promotes crime-prevention strategies and methods. Knowledgeably advises citizens and businesses on crime prevention.
- Develops and maintains case files and other paperwork appropriate to investigative matters. He or she shall be knowledgeable about legal processes such as grand juries and obtaining warrants.
- Investigates or oversees all investigations for felonies that cannot be concluded during a regular shift for the officer receiving the initial complaint. Investigates or oversees all investigations for misdemeanors that are handled at the shift level or that may be passed on to him or her and informs the Chief of police about all investigation statuses.
- Maintains liaison with investigators of the other agencies, court personnel, and correctional officials on matters of mutual concern.
- Shall head up the accreditation team.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned by the Chief.
Qualifications & salary:
Requires Virginia DCJS law enforcement certification. Minimum of five years of uniformed police work, with two years in a supervisory role is strongly preferred. Candidates must have an ability to deal courteously with the public, to understand and carry out oral and written instructions, and to prepare clear and comprehensive reports. Must be able to act without immediate supervision and exercise independent judgment in meeting emergencies; physical ability to perform job tasks; and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers and the public. Must be high school graduate or possess a GED.
Hiring Range will be $72,000.00 – $85,000.00 DOQ
- Generous benefit package is included for full time employees to include
100% paid health insurance for individual, individual plus one is 85% paid, and the family plan is 80% paid, participation in VRS and LEOS, life insurance, paid holidays, paid vacations, paid sick days, training, uniforms are supplied, and a health insurance benefit upon retirement (the official benefit package is available in the employee handbook).
How to apply: Applications and a resume are required. The link below will take you to the online application and waiver. https://www.middleburgva.gov/170/Employment-Opportunities You must also submit a resume.
- Mail or email completed resume to:
Middleburg Police Department
ATTN: Chief of Police
PO BOX 187
Middleburg, VA 20118
- Or you may hand deliver the resume to the Police Department at: 107 West Federal Street, Suite 1 Middleburg, Virginia, 20117.
Contact Chief A.J. Panebianco by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-338-6633 with any questions
Application deadline: Friday, October 9, 2020 @ 10:00 am.