$112,989.97 – $167,037.73/year
OPENING DATE: Monday, August 3, 2020
CLOSING DATE: Continuous
Chief law enforcement officer for the Town of Davie, a full-service municipality, is charged with direct oversight and control of the Police Department. Performs highly responsible administrative and professional police work directing the operations of the Town’s police department. Responsible for protection of life and property in the Town and directs police functions including patrol, investigation, community policing, code compliance and enforcement. Reports to the Town Administrator.
The Town of Davie is firmly committed to offering an equitable, drug-free work environment. We do not discriminate in any employment related decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability or other similar factors that are not job-related. This commitment is practiced in all aspects of our policies, programs, practices, recruitment, examination, appointment, training, promotion, retention and other related activities. When requested, the Davie Police Department will make reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities. Please contact a Human Resources representative at 954-797-1100 if special assistance is needed.
The Town of Davie is a diverse, rapidly growing community of 36 square miles with a population exceeding 105,000 residents. The Town is positioned as the educational hub of Broward County through the South Florida Education Center which is home to several nationally known higher learning institutions and over 44,000 college students. The Town is located in close proximity to the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport, Port Everglades and is centrally located in Broward County touching 10 of the County’s 30 municipalities.
The Davie Police Department is a full-service agency capable of providing all facets of police service to our residents and a contracted community. The police department is a State of Florida accredited agency and take pride in our reputation as a professional, progressive police department.
Additional information regarding the Town of Davie is available at www.davie-fl.gov.
• Master’s Degree in Management, Public Administration, Criminal Justice, or related field.
• Ten (10) years or more of progressively responsible supervisory/management experience in Law Enforcement.
• Experience as a Police Chief, Deputy Chief or Assistant Chief in a similar size or larger agency.
• Must possess a valid Florida Driver’s License or have the ability to obtain upon hire.
• Must possess certification as a sworn Police Officer in the State of Florida or have the ability to obtain certification upon hire.
• Graduation from one or more of the executive managerial educational institutions: Southern Police Institute, Federal Bureau Investigation National Academy, or Northwestern Management Course.
• Must possess excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
Essential Job Functions
• Supervises, directs and evaluates, in conference with command staff, the activities of the Police Department; directs and supervises command staff engaged in administrative, operational and technical aspects of departmental operations and in the supervision of all police and code compliance personnel.
• Directs the preparation of the Police Department budget and controls the expenditure of appropriations.
• Directs and supervises the departmental grants and accreditation processes.
• Directs the planning, organization and implementation of departmental goals and objectives; develops and administers departmental policies, rules and regulations; provides guidance and direction to Command Staff.
• Oversees the organization and assignment of work to police personnel to ensure efficiency and effectiveness of operational procedures; oversees hiring process of new employees; develops and implements training procedures and ensures in-service training of subordinates; enforces departmental rules, policies and regulations; initiates procedures in disciplinary matters.
• Carries out long-range planning for community police services; consults with top-level municipal and other officials in the development of plans, programs and policies.
• Cooperates with other local, state and federal law enforcement officials and agencies in the investigation, detection and apprehension of wanted persons.
• Directs, performs and reviews a wide range of highly technical and specialized police work and investigative activities.
• Directs the preparation of recurring and special reports on departmental operations and activities for the Town Administrator and Town Council.
• Receives and resolves complaints; attends meetings at public gatherings to explain activities and functions of the police department and to cultivate favorable public relations.
• Responsible for forming community partnerships and coalitions within the community to maintain and enhance trust between police and citizens.
• Understands and supports diversity in law enforcement within the organization and the community served.
• Provides timely communications and reports to the Town Administrator regarding the affairs of the department and significant police related activities within the community.
• Serves as the Sergeant at Arms for Town Council meetings.
• Computer literacy and extensive knowledge with multiple computer platforms, programs and systems.
• Performs other related work as required.
Additional information regarding the hiring process
Following the closing date, applications will be screened in relation to the criteria outlined in the job posting. Candidates deemed to be the best qualified will be invited to the interview process in September. The Town Administrator anticipates making a selection shortly thereafter followed by a successful completion of a thorough background investigation.
Compensation and Benefits
The Town of Davie offers an attractive and competitive salary and benefits package. The hiring range for this position is up to $167,037.73, placement within the range will be based upon qualifications and experience. The employee benefits package includes, but is not limited to:
• Pension: Defined Benefit Plan, Click here for summary
(Management & General Employees Hired After September 30, 2013)
• Health Insurance:
o Medical: Employees are given a choice of 3 Medical Plans: United Healthcare EPO, POS, or HD w/HSA.
o Dental: Employee has choice of one of three plans: Humana HS205, Advantage Plan, or PPO (Low or High).
o Vision: Humana
• AFLAC and Colonial:
o Off-the-Job Accident Indemnity Plan
o Cancer Indemnity Plan
o Hospital Indemnity Plan
o Whole and Term Life Insurance
o Universal Life with Long Term Care
o Juvenile Universal Life Insurance
o Critical Illness
• Legal Plans: Employees are given an option to purchase legal insurance and identity theft provided by either LegalShield or US Legal Services.
• Flexible Spending Account:
o Healthcare Spending Accounts (Medical FSA)
o Dependent Care Spending Accounts
• Deferred Compensation: 457 plan available, employees have the ability to make pre-tax contributions into a variety of investment options to save for retirement.
• Executive Leave: 120 hours per year. Hours are credited on October 1st of each year, employees hired after October 1st will be credited with Executive Leave on a pro-rated basis.
o Less than 5 years of service: accrue 3.08 hours biweekly or 10 days per year.
o 5-9 years of service: accrue 4.62 hours biweekly or 15 days per year
o Completion of 10 years of service: accrue 6.15 hours biweekly or 20 days per year
• Sick Leave: 3.69 hours biweekly or 12 days per year (1 day per month)
• Holidays: 11.5 days per year as designated by Town Council each fiscal year.
• Additional Leave: Birthday and Quality Service Day.
• Life Insurance: $100,000 Basic Life.
• Supplemental Life Insurance (Voluntary): Employees may also purchase additional insurance up to five times their salary (max of $400,000.00) and dependent insurance.
• Short-Term Disability: After 21-day elimination period, 50% of weekly salary up to $1500.00 per week, maximum benefit duration is 10 weeks.
• Long-Term Disability: After 90-day elimination period, 50% of monthly earnings up to $7500 and an additional 10% of salary with an optional employee buy-up.
• Take Home Vehicle
• Cell Phone Stipend: $50/month
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
OUR OFFICE IS LOCATED AT:
6591 Orange Drive
Davie, FL 33314
An Equal Opportunity Employer Job #20-103
CHIEF OF POLICE
For more information, please visit: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/davie/jobs/2826139/chief-of-police?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs