The Thomasville Police Department is looking for a dynamic Chief of Police to command a CALEA-accredited police agency of 68 members (61 sworn officers; 7 civilians). The department is widely recognized for being community-oriented, innovative, diverse, and transparent. Principal functions of the position include Administrative Services, Police Operations, Support Services and Community Services Divisions. Thomasville is located in southwest Georgia approximately 35 miles from Tallahassee, Florida.
The Chief of Police reports directly to the City Manager who serves as the chief executive officer for the City of Thomasville. The City Manager reports to a five-member City Council comprised of a Mayor and four City Councilmembers. The City has approximately 450 employees in a wide array of governmental and business services such as utility operations, marketing/tourism, general government and economic/community development. The land area is 15.06 square miles with an estimated 19,000 residents.
The City’s business model includes proactive strategic planning, benchmarking with other leading organizations, performance measurements, with great attention directed to community relations and customer care. Programs and procedures are designed and redesigned based on citizen surveys and focus groups, which help to identify the community’s needs and priorities. Volunteer boards and committees play a key role in City operations.
The Chief of Police must have exceptional leadership skills along with a collaborative, team-oriented management style. The Chief must be a visionary leader with a sound business acumen and solid budgetary skills.
A sampling of essential duties includes, but is not limited to the following:
1. Direct overall operations of the Thomasville Police Department.
2. Responsible for directing, through subordinate personnel, all activities involving operations.
3. Responsible for maintaining national accreditation through CALEA (Commission Accreditation of Law Enforcement Agencies) and State of Georgia Law Enforcement Certification.
4. Prepares/maintains annual budget estimated at $6.8 million.
5. Supervises/participates staff training in police methods, procedures and duties, particularly at the administrative and supervisory levels.
6. Receives/responds to citizen complaints concerning departmental services.
7. Attends meetings and makes presentations to various groups to explain activities or functions of the department and to establish favorable public relations.
8. Appears before City Council to explain departmental plans, requests and activities as directed.
9. Develops/administers personnel rules and standard operations procedures.
10. Recruits and employs new employees, approves promotions, and transfers with oversight for all personnel actions.
11. Responsible for maintaining/promoting the Community Orienting Policing Philosophy, establishing community committees, and participating in community outreach programs.
12. Be an active member of professional organizations such as Georgia Association of Chiefs of Police, International Association of Chief of Police, National Organization for Black Law Enforcement Executives and Georgia Association of Women in Public Safety.
This position requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Public/Business Administration or closely related field; a Master’s degree is preferred. Candidates should have at least ten (10) years of executive management in public/municipal administration. Must be highly organized with excellent communication skills and a proven record of independent judgment. Candidates must have experience in strategic planning, performance measurements, community engagement and economic development.
Exceptional candidates will have completed advanced training through agencies such as the FBI National Academy, Southern Police Institute, Georgia Command College or equivalent. Must be certified or able to be certified under the Georgia Peace Officers Standard and Training Act within one year of service. Must have a valid driver’s license.
The City of Thomasville will offer a competitive compensation and benefits package, based on qualifications, up to the midpoint ($105,570.00+/-) of the established salary range.
The City’s Human Resources Department will receive all applications and forward them for advanced assessment and recruitment by the Georgia Association of Chiefs of Police (GACP) at the closing date. Candidates will be contacted by the GACP regarding candidate eligibility and assessments before providing summary candidate evaluations to Thomasville’s City Manager. GACP will serve as the primary recruiting agency for this position. Applications are available online at http://cityofthomasville.appone.com. Please submit resumes with application. Closing date is September 14, 2020.
The Chief of Police must be able to complete a Physical Abilities Test (PAT) on an annual basis which includes, walking, running, climbing, hurdling, crawling, dragging a 150 pound dummy and other physical requirements as outlined in the Thomasville Police SOP. PAT physical requirements are considered to be daily job functions of a police officer during the normal course of duty. Position requires working in extreme conditions related to weather, apprehension of suspects, chemical usage, and other physical conditions required by police personnel.
We comply with the Drug Free Workplace Guidelines. EOE
For more information, please visit: http://cityofthomasville.appone.com/