Although the City has a Council/Manager form of government, the Chief of Police reports directly to the Mayor and City Council and is responsible for directing and coordinating all Police Department operations.
The successful candidate will be a proven law enforcement professional with executive level leadership skills and possess:
• Excellent communication skills
• Be skilled in best practices in contemporary state of the art policing and committed to transparency and accountability
• Have the desire and skills to reach out to the minority community to enhance communication and to identify issues and develop solutions.
• Have experience in public sector police budgeting and employee-relations
• Be a collaborative problem-solver
• Have demonstrated the ability to work with different organizations including other city departments, businesses, and community organizations.
• Experience in a rural community is desired
• A history as a mentor and the development of future leaders
• Chief of Police to be one who will be visible in the organization and the community and be willing to commit to Fort Morgan for a significant length of time with the energy and experience to lead a youthful Department forward.
• Being bi-lingual would be considered a plus.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The hiring range is $97,300 – $124,000 (DOQ). In addition, the City offers a competitive benefits package that includes vacation and sick time, holiday pay, retirement plan options, health, dental and vision insurance, life insurance and use of a City vehicle. The city has a defined contribution retirement plan with a city match to the contribution.
There is no residency requirement however it is preferred or a maximum of 30-minute response to the city.
KEY CHALLENGES AND OPPORTUNITIES
• Embracing a rural, historic community
• Instilling stability and a clear vision
• Providing mentorship and professional development to a young department.
• Cultivating a strong, effective leadership team within the Department
• Willing to seek creative ideas and the realities of recent budget challenges
• Improvement of technology
• Ensuring public confidence in the integrity of the Department
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
The position requires a Bachelor’s degree (B.A or B.S) from an accredited four (4) year college or university in a subject field related to the position. A combination of education, training and experience may be considered. Eight (8) years of increasingly responsible command and supervisory experience with a local, state, or federal law enforcement agency, including three (3) years of command level experience in an agency with 20 or more sworn officers. A Master’s degree and/or leadership training such as the FBI National Academy, Northwestern University School of Police Staff and Command, Southern Police Institute Command Officer Development Course or equivalent is highly desired but not required. The ability to obtain the State of Colorado Police Officer Standards and Training Certification and a Colorado Driver’s License. Experience working in a leadership capacity in a rural community, is also preferred.
HOW TO APPLY:
KRW Associates, LLC, is assisting the City of Fort Morgan in this search. Qualified candidates should apply electronically by 5PM (MDT) September 18, 2020 by KRW Associates, LLC, at email@example.com and must include a cover letter, resume (with salary history), and 6 professional references.
Questions should be directed to Lorne Kramer or Dr. Gerald Williams, (Jerry) KRW Managing Partners at firstname.lastname@example.org or 719-310-8960 and 303-726-6220.
The City of Fort Morgan is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information, please visit: https://www.krw-associates.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Fort-Morgan-COP-Posting-Final-8-17.pdf