Under the general direction of the Chief of Police/Director of Public Safety, Assistant Chief, and Lieutenants, Sergeants will exercise supervisory responsibility for various shifts or special programs and assignments. The Sergeant position functions as a member of the leadership team mentoring, and fostering professional development within XUPD.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Supervises Specialists, Officers and other personnel assigned to shifts, programs, or details.
2. Plans, assigns, and reviews work; monitors and evaluates performance, provides mentoring and counseling as necessary, investigates violations of policy and recommends disciplinary action for the Sergeant’s direct reports.
3. Develops and demonstrates knowledge of, and compliance/competency with the Clery Act, Title IX, RAVE, Guardian, BART, X-ACT and all other student support services.
4. Assists with special events as able or required.
5. Performs patrol of jurisdiction, answers calls for service, and takes part in enforcement efforts on a Monitors reports for quality, thoroughness, accuracy, and assists with dissemination
6. Assists in the maintenance of equipment including, IT devices, communications platforms, software and fleet vehicles including regular inspection/assessment of vehicles, radios and other equipment, making recommendations for future needs or immediate concerns.
7. Maintains open communications in both directions through the chain of command and officer roster via e-mail, roll call briefings, and provides on the job training and various types of instruction for personnel and supervises Field Training Officers assigned to new cadets, officers, or auxiliary officers.
8. Represents the department at weekly/monthly on/off campus meetings as deemed necessary by the Chief of Police/DPS, Assistant Chief of Police, or Lieutenants and assists with direct support for Community Outreach programs.
9. Participates in policy development, as it pertains to departmental and state mandated training. Schedules, plans and implements departmental training as deemed necessary by the state and Chief of Police/DPS, Assistant Chief, or in direct coordination with a supervising Lieutenant.
10. Supervises and coordinates XUPD response to complex crime scenes or other unusual circumstances.
11. Works closely with the Chief/DPS, Assistant Chief/ADPS, Lieutenants, and other Sergeants and maintains professionalism and positive mission support
12. Assists other public safety agencies or guides their assistance to the University as required through MOU and determines mutual aid needs for additional police, fire and EMS personnel.
13. Directly assists and conducts criminal investigations at the direction or in support of the Investigations Section.
• 5 years of full-time police officer experience
• High school diploma
• Current OPOTA certification in good standing
• Associate’s degree or higher in a related field
• 5 -10 years full-time police officer experience
Qualified candidates, if selected for offer, will be required to pass a drug screening, a department physical assessment test as well as other University required tests.
To ensure consideration for this position, interested/qualified applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and the names and contact information of three professional references on Xavier University’s website no later than August 21, 2020.
Xavier University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
For more information, please visit: https://jobs.silkroad.com/(X(1)S(vm4pcy2a2k0lkkhytrt5ep5i))/Xavier/apply/jobs/2097